Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

4 posters

What is an NIE?

Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

What is an NIE? Empty What is an NIE?

Post by Gypsy Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 13:51

NIE Number

Any person wishing to purchase a property or have any other fiscal representation in Spain must obtain a foreigners identification number (Numero de Identificación de Extranjero – N.I.E., or commonly referred to as an NIE number.

Its not an identification card like the optional 'Residencia', it’s the root of everything official and should be your first port of call.

You cannot pay into the social security system without one so most employers who offer a contract require this before employing you. You need it to buy a car or house, to obtain a 'resedencia' as well as many other official items.

You can either go to the police station and ask for an NIE form.

Or get it HERE for free & start the process now.

HOW TO FILL IN THE N.I.E. APPLICATION FORM....

SECTION 1

DATOS PERSONALES means PERSONAL DETAILS

1er Apellido: Surname

2º Apellido : (second Surname)

Nombre : Christian Name (make sure to use same as in passport)

Fecha de Nacimiento: Date of birth (use two digits for day and month)

Lugar de nacimiento: Place of birth

Sexo : Gender “H” for Male (Hombre) and “M” Female (Mujer) . X cross the one applicable

Estado: Civil: Status. S for single C for married. V for widow and D for divorced

País de nacimiento: Country of Birth

País de nacionalidad: Current Nationality

Nombre del padre: Father´s name

Nombre de la madre: Mother’s name

Domicilio en España: Address in Spain (if you have one, otherwise leave blank) - Localidad: Town, CP: Postcode, Provincia: Province

SECTION 2

Reasons for application:

Economic, Professional or Social (Tick professional for work reasons or social for house purchase)

SECTION 3

DOMICILIO A EFECTOS DE NOTIFICACIONES

Leave blank

Sign the form at the bottom, under 'firma de solicitante'.

Take the completed form to the National Police station, along with a photocopy & 2 recent passport size colour photos of yourself. You also need to provide your original passport and a photocopy. That's it!

You will then be told to return in approx. 4 weeks time when your number will be ready to collect. It comes on an A4 sheet of paper officially stamped by the Spanish authorities.

You need this number to do anything fiscal in Spain.

Source - Cancasa

Last edited by Gypsy on Sat 13 Oct 2012 - 9:25; edited 1 time in total
    cunningham
    cunningham

Wales Male Posts : 3211

What is an NIE? Empty Re: What is an NIE?

Post by cunningham Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 16:32

Gypsy wrote:NIE Number

Any person wishing to purchase a property or have any other fiscal representation in Spain must obtain a foreigners identification number (Numero de Identificación de Extranjero – N.I.E., or commonly referred to as an NIE number.

Its not an identification card like the optional 'Residencia', it’s the root of everything official and should be your first port of call.
    You cannot pay into the social security system without one so most employers who offer a contract require this before employing you. You need it to buy a car or house, to obtain a 'resedencia' as well as many other official items.

You can either go to the police station and ask for an NIE form.

Or get it HERE for free & start the process now.

HOW TO FILL IN THE N.I.E. APPLICATION FORM....

SECTION 1

DATOS PERSONALES means PERSONAL DETAILS

1er Apellido: Surname

2º Apellido : (second Surname)

Nombre : Christian Name (make sure to use same as in passport)

Fecha de Nacimiento: Date of birth (use two digits for day and month)

Lugar de nacimiento: Place of birth

Sexo : Gender “H” for Male (Hombre) and “M” Female (Mujer) . X cross the one applicable

Estado: Civil: Status. S for single C for married. V for widow and D for divorced

País de nacimiento: Country of Birth

País de nacionalidad: Current Nationality

Nombre del padre: Father´s name

Nombre de la madre: Mother’s name

Domicilio en España: Address in Spain (if you have one, otherwise leave blank) - Localidad: Town, CP: Postcode, Provincia: Province

SECTION 2

Reasons for application:

Economic, Professional or Social (Tick professional for work reasons or social for house purchase)

SECTION 3

DOMICILIO A EFECTOS DE NOTIFICACIONES

Leave blank

Sign the form at the bottom, under 'firma de solicitante'.

Take the completed form to the National Police station, along with a photocopy & 2 recent passport size colour photos of yourself. You also need to provide your original passport and a photocopy. That's it!

You will then be told to return in approx. 4 weeks time when your number will be ready to collect. It comes on an A4 sheet of paper officially stamped by the Spanish authorities.

You need this number to do anything fiscal in Spain.

Source - Cancasa
    What is an NIE? 3711883763 good afternoon , can you tell me if an n i e number expires, as i have one,someone has led me to believe they only last so long?
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 17:56

cunningham wrote: good afternoon , can you tell me if an n i e number expires, as i have one,someone has led me to believe they only last so long?

Your number is personal to you; it is not transferable nor does it expire.

Whoever told you it did could be confusing it with a Certificate of Empadronamiento which lasts for 6 months I think, and you get it from the Ayuntamiento for approx €1.50 this proves that you are living at your current address. You would be asked to supply one if you were buying a large items like a car. If you have not been in touch with your town hall in 5 years (e.g. paying bills etc) you are required by law to re-register.
    cunningham
    cunningham

Post by cunningham Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 18:37

Gypsy wrote:
    Your number is personal to you; it is not transferable nor does it expire.

Whoever told you it did could be confusing it with a Certificate of Empadronamiento which lasts for 6 months I think, and you get it from the Ayuntamiento for approx €1.50 this proves that you are living at your current address. You would be asked to supply one if you were buying a large items like a car. If you have not been in touch with your town hall in 5 years (e.g. paying bills etc) you are required by law to re-register.
    thanks for thatWhat is an NIE? 294053457
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 21:44

Great thread and a superb point to make.
    muggle
    muggle

Post by muggle Wed 5 Oct 2011 - 0:40

Your NIE is exactly like your Social Security number in the UK.
    Once you have it it is yours forever, sometimes unfortunately.. What is an NIE? 757368775
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Wed 5 Oct 2011 - 9:13

Thanks Muggle, you should get involved a bit more.... What is an NIE? 811500621
    cunningham
    cunningham

Post by cunningham Wed 5 Oct 2011 - 18:04

muggle wrote:Your NIE is exactly like your Social Security number in the UK.
    Once you have it it is yours forever, sometimes unfortunately.. What is an NIE? 757368775
    but what about colour,i have read that a white one expires after 3 months,its the green one that lasts indefinatly, mine is a white one so out of date.
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Wed 5 Oct 2011 - 19:06

cunningham wrote: but what about colour,i have read that a white one expires after 3 months,its the green one that lasts indefinatly, mine is a white one so out of date.

I still think you are getting confused with the Empadronamiento which is a white and only lasts for a short time. As far as I know the current NIE is green, the previous ones were like credit cards and mainly blue/pink in colour. Can´t remember a white one.

Sorry for being nosey Cunningham but if you are not a resident why do you want an NIE number the usual reasons are if you are working whether as an employee or self employed. When setting up Telephone / Electricity / Bank Accounts. If you are buying property or a car. Or perhaps you just wish to pay taxes to the Hacienda :Crazy: If that's the case you can pay mine What is an NIE? 2419626307
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 8:12

H. as you are now in Tenerife, have you fathomed out yet if you have an NIE or an Empadronamiento. May I suggest if you have it with you that you call into the Culture Centre in Los Cris and ask them what it is.
    cunningham
    cunningham

Post by cunningham Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 9:37

Gypsy wrote:H. as you are now in Tenerife, have you fathomed out yet if you have an NIE or an Empadronamiento. May I suggest if you have it with you that you call into the Culture Centre in Los Cris and ask them what it is.
    hi mum i am not in need of the NIE. anymore,i only got one to open a spanish bank account in order to get a Internet dongle for use whilst here,however it turned out to be a complete nightmare,it was not a long term contract,i canceled it in the february,only to find on my return in june that they were still taking money out of my account.they are still sending nasty letters saying i owe money.closed bank account as they charge you to look after your money.nah waste of space.oh, and santander?another horror story i haven't time to go into,only to say i wouldn't recommend anyone to touch them with a barge pole.What is an NIE? 16779677 good morning all,cloudy day here just right for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 19:13