Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+7
Vera Lynn
3rdforum
Campbell Brodie
Mermaid
Perfectspecimen
Topdog
Adam Mint
11 posters

Computer doing me head in...

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Computer doing me head in... Empty Computer doing me head in...

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 18:34

Computer doing me head in...

I work on a laptop with a dongle for internet connection, I view various forums etc, via either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

Approx three or four days ago I started getting problems, when I jumped between sites, new site I was opening would not respond, I am still showing internet connection, but when I click on site the small blue round whirly thing just keeps revolving, and revolving, but I do not connect to site.

Initially I just thought my dongle supplier was having an intermittent problem, but it’s not getting any better, it’s actually happening more frequently.

Initially as a cure I would pull the dongle then refit it and log in again, this seemed to work, that was until yesterday/today, now I’m having to shut down computer and restart it before I can connect to a site, again I repeat, I am showing I am connected to net, but just can’t gain access to sites.

And again problem is intermittent, computer will be ok for an hour or so , or sometimes just five minutes, then problem starts.

Think problem is more to do with my computer than dongle/internet connection the fact switching it off and on somehow seems to cure problem.

And no I did not pour lukewarm water on computer, I used boiling water, thought it would be a quicker fix....................

Any advice appreciated, but keep it simple, please...

Computer doing me head in... 2544998206

Last edited by Adam Mint on Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 18:45; edited 1 time in total
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Computer doing me head in... Empty Re: Computer doing me head in...

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 18:42

It may be Chrome Adam. Get rid and re install.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:07

Clueless I am so I'll keep stum. Simples enough?
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:11

Have you cleared all your cookies and cache?
    Do you have CCleaner?
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:31

Initially done that on Google chrome, could not work out how to do it on Internet Explorer, I’m had done it some time back on Explorer but home page changed and can’t find out how to do in now.

Deleted Google Chrome as TD suggested and have not re-installed as yet, been back on for about half an hour now and all has been ok, but as said problem is intermittent and timing is infrequent, so may just be luck all has been ok so far.

Heading out soon so will have to log off anyway.

Will update as to situation.

What’s CCleaner?

Thanks.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:31

I dont eat buscuits and have very little cash so cant afford a cleaner either. Next.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:38

Before doing these steps, make sure you have written down your passwords...

When using Chrome, to clear your cookies and history cache, go to the wee spanner at the top right and click it. Look for "History", click on that then "Clear all browsing data..."

When using IE, to clear cookies and history, go to the wee cog wheel at right hand side and click on it. Look for "Internet Options". On the "General" tab look for "Browsing History" and click the "delete" button.

If you haven't already got them, 2 downloads (free) I would highly recommend are CCleaner: CCleaner
    and Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes

Both are quick and easy to set up and at the end of the night I use CCleaner to remove all the days history and cookies (which is what I've explained above, this does it for you), and once a week I perform a "quick scan" with Malwarebytes.

Give me a shout if you want a hand. Keep the forum open on one browser and download them using the other, that way I can "talk" you through it.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:42

Heading out for quiz night, will catch up on this later, or tomorrow.....

Computer doing me head in... 1460810463 hic....

Thanks...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:53

Whoops, just lost my bank account user ID. I have it written down somewhere I think. lol!
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 20:07

Perfectspecimen wrote:Whoops, just lost my bank account user ID. I have it written down somewhere I think. lol!

Good man Vince. Hence the warning at top. Computer doing me head in... 294053457 But these are two great downloads and take no time at all to use. It might not fix Adam's problem, but what it will do is when he runs Malwarebytes, it will let him know if he has a virus and will get rid of it for him. I'm using Firefox but they work on all browsers.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 20:35

Reg would know that then...... :sulk2: , Computer doing me head in... 3025408739
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 20:58

Adam Mint wrote:Computer doing me head in...

I work on a laptop with a dongle for internet connection, I view various forums etc, via either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

Approx three or four days ago I started getting problems, when I jumped between sites, new site I was opening would not respond, I am still showing internet connection, but when I click on site the small blue round whirly thing just keeps revolving, and revolving, but I do not connect to site.

Initially I just thought my dongle supplier was having an intermittent problem, but it’s not getting any better, it’s actually happening more frequently.

Initially as a cure I would pull the dongle then refit it and log in again, this seemed to work, that was until yesterday/today, now I’m having to shut down computer and restart it before I can connect to a site, again I repeat, I am showing I am connected to net, but just can’t gain access to sites.

And again problem is intermittent, computer will be ok for an hour or so , or sometimes just five minutes, then problem starts.

Think problem is more to do with my computer than dongle/internet connection the fact switching it off and on somehow seems to cure problem.

And no I did not pour lukewarm water on computer, I used boiling water, thought it would be a quicker fix....................

Any advice appreciated, but keep it simple, please...

have you tried some gentle persuasion with a lump hammer?Didn't work for me but you never know your luck
    Vera Lynn
    Vera Lynn

UK Female Posts : 170

Post by Vera Lynn Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 21:15

This is weird as i am having the same problems today as what Adam has described Computer doing me head in... 3275847336 Im on a friends laptop at the minute as im babysitting but i will do what you suggest LR tomorrow. I also use google chrome.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 22:29

Vera is round Adam's gaff weather
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 22:36

Topdog wrote:Vera is round Adam's gaff Computer doing me head in... 4226408756

Computer doing me head in... 2485877773 Computer doing me head in... 2485877773
    Vera Lynn
    Vera Lynn

UK Female Posts : 170

Post by Vera Lynn Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 22:40

It would be an expensive night for him if i was.Computer doing me head in... 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 22:42

Vera Lynn wrote:It would be an expensive night for him if i was.Computer doing me head in... 3025408739

I knew you were a class act Vera! Computer doing me head in... 294053457
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 22:44

Nothing to do with being a class act just drinks loads and double Ruby.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 27 Apr 2012 - 5:08

Vera Lynn wrote:This is weird as i am having the same problems today as what Adam has described Computer doing me head in... 3275847336 Im on a friends laptop at the minute as im babysitting but i will do what you suggest LR tomorrow. I also use google chrome.

Oh, I like you, sitting on a friends lap, and waiting for suggestions, dont think your problems are weird, maybe we should PM...

:-)
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Sat 28 Apr 2012 - 14:57

Update:

Deleted Google Chrome as previously said, emptied history on Internet Explorer, have not downloaded CCleaner or Malwarebytes as yet, computer played up a couple of times yesterday, but got away with just pulling and refitting dongle to get back on net, has been ok today, will probably start screwing up now I’ve posted this.

Computer doing me head in... 206331103
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 28 Apr 2012 - 15:13

Adam Mint wrote:Update:

Deleted Google Chrome as previously said, emptied history on Internet Explorer, have not downloaded CCleaner or Malwarebytes as yet, computer played up a couple of times yesterday, but got away with just pulling and refitting dongle to get back on net, has been ok today, will probably start screwing up now I’ve posted this.

Computer doing me head in... 206331103

Defo worth downloading both programmes AM. Only takes a few mins. Save them to somewhere easily remembered ( I usually save them to desktop).Once you've downloaded them, give me a shout and I'll show you how to work them (only takes a few clicks).
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Sat 28 Apr 2012 - 15:40

Save them in the RECYCLE BIN Computer doing me head in... 3025408739
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 2 May 2012 - 21:37

Still having same problem with computer, some days ok, some days a minor, couple of days back it took me two hours of switching computer on and off before I could open any sites, as said I have connection to internet ok, its jus getting sites to open that’s the problem.

I have downloaded CCleaner but not used it yet, have not downloaded Malwarebytes as I subscribe to Norton 360, and it looks as if they do much the same ??? and wondered if one would interfere with the other ???

Computer has been ok today !

Just about to log out after sending this, pool team meeting tonight, no match tonight, (Translated means normal night in pub talking pool shit, drinking beer and playing pool), but its official tonight....

Again advice appreciated, but when computers working ok I’m reluctant to do anything, but on Saturday when it took hours to get working, it was almost out the window...

3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Wed 2 May 2012 - 22:01

Run the C Cleaner. Its gets rid of all the crap that slows the machine down
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 4 May 2012 - 4:13

Since last post could not get computer to connect to sites, in pub tonight guy says do a restore to before you think problem started to occur, had never done restore thigh before, after six or seven attempts it kept coming up with previous restore time of ten minutes previous, was just about to kill computer, then last time I tried it, I get a connection.....

Have I fixed it!!! or is it just an intermittent chance it connected......

Who cares, 10 :-) ...............................................

No, was going to PC World tomorrow (today), it would just not connect to sites.

LR, as said downloaded CCleaner, but was afraid to run it as it said it could delete programs etc ???

Computers........... Bit like women......................................................

Computer doing me head in... 1048198749 Computer doing me head in... 206331103 Computer doing me head in... 1048198749 Computer doing me head in... 206331103 Computer doing me head in... 1048198749 Computer doing me head in... 206331103Computer doing me head in... 1048198749 Computer doing me head in... 206331103

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024 - 13:57