Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+4
Campbell Brodie
Mcqueen
3rdforum
Adam Mint
8 posters

Self Service Tills

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Self Service Tills Empty Self Service Tills

Post by Adam Mint Tue 21 May 2013 - 18:46

Self Service Tills

When these things first came out I avoided them like the plague, dump the contents of the basket on the conveyer belt, let the checkout girl do her job, pay her and get to hell out of there was my policy, then when standing in a long checkout queue one day with only one or two items and a numpty on the till taking ages I decided to give them a go, now it depends on how many items I have/queue length etc as to how I pay.
    But the reason for the thread, weekend I was jumping train up to my mates, had a couple of letters to post but had run out of stamps, decided to take letters with me, get stamps at station and post them. Station in question was Manchester Piccadilly, in to W H Smiths I go for stamps, this is a very busy station/shop, they had obviously recently changed the till system, on previous visits to the shop there were two manned tills, which were not enough as you always had to queue to pay, these tills have been replaced with three self service tills and one manned till which had a big notice next to it saying “This till only for cigarettes, lottery and phone cards”. I take my place in the queue for the manned till as I suspect that is where I will get my stamps although stamps were not stated on notice. The till is manned by an overweight bearded male student type who is explaining in depth to a woman who has obviously just bought a phone card which would not work and had returned to complain that he could do nothing about it and that she must complain to the phone card company direct, she’s not having this,,, behind the woman is a guy with a chocolate bar in his hand, I suspect he may have wanted cigarettes or something else being in the queue, then me, then three or more behind me. The three self service tills, one is out of order, at another is an old codger with three or four newspapers making no headway in attempting to scan in the barcodes, at the other working self service till is a woman with a large quantity of items, who after taking ages to scan them in continued to have difficulty in getting the machine to accept payment, not two yards from this mayhem were two members of staff oblivious to what was going on and happily chatting away while stacking shelf’s... The guy in front of me was obviously getting agitated and called out to the staff about the customers having difficulty with the tills, the female who was stacking shelf’s looks at him with disgust, goes over to the woman having difficulty paying, assists her, totally ignores the old codger then goes over and stands beside the guy on the manned till and starts to listen in to the argument about the phone card... The guy in front of me goes to the now free self service till and pays for his chocolate bar, so I am now next in the queue at the manned till, eventulay the woman accepts she is going to have to buy another phone card and complain direct to the phone card company, she pays and leaves, I aproach the till, the girl shop assistant makes to start discusssing the incident with the guy on the till, I abruptly butt in saying “A book of stamps please”, I am looked at in disgust by both of them, I say “I have a train to catch”,,, I get served, as I am moving away from the till the woman behind me aproches, she has two or three items in her hands, the guy on the till points to the notice saying “This till only for cigarettes, lottery and phone cards”, the woman says but I also want cigarettes, he says you can get your cigarettes here but you have to pay for the other goods at the self service till...........
    Boy is that shop going to lose business, there are several shops on the approach to and within the station selling the same as W H Smiths, will be interesting to see how long the new till set up stays...

Angry2
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Self Service Tills Empty Re: Self Service Tills

Post by 3rdforum Tue 21 May 2013 - 18:54

were you standing in queue as long as it took you to write this post?? Self Service Tills 3025408739
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Tue 21 May 2013 - 19:03

Fecking longer, still raging, thinking of e-mailing post to W H Smiths...

Angry3 Angry2 Angry3 Angry2 Angry3

I was meeting my mate to go for a drink...

Raging I say, Raging...

Angry3
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Tue 21 May 2013 - 19:04

Funny that, Sunday i was in WH Smiths in Leeds centre, exactly the same thing, 3 new self service check outs, But there was 3 members of staff watching them Self Service Tills 3275847336I thought WTF is that all about Self Service Tills 1498946960 I gave 6 year old Lexie the job of paying, also i use one in sainsburys every morning for the paper and milk, i think they are open to abuse tho, because knowbody is watching, i mean you could just scan the paper and nash with the milk,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 21 May 2013 - 19:29

I hate them feckin' self service tills with a vengeance! I'd blow all the feckers up! They NEVER, repeat NEVER work like they're supposed to when I try to use them...then I blame Mermaid 'cos I get all embarrassed. Self Service Tills 3025408739
    Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Post by Blyth Spirit Tue 21 May 2013 - 21:51

Self service tills add them to the religion, politics & coffee list. :Not me Guv:
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Tue 21 May 2013 - 22:39

Dont think you read that right, sometimes the serve yourself tills miss things off Self Service Tills 878948377mistakes can happen
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Wed 22 May 2013 - 8:13

I use them but they are very temperamental like me Self Service Tills 3025408739
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Wed 22 May 2013 - 8:23

Check your prices they do not always give discounts. Weigh your own veg, so pput in the cheaper version Reg. Crap they are, always got the lollipop on, still its the way forward, less wages to pay............maybe.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Wed 22 May 2013 - 21:28

They dont have those in Lidl. Today the booze was 20p cheaper. I got 2 bottles......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024 - 22:14