Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+5
Adam Mint
Perfectspecimen
Gypsy
Ted Zeppelin
3rdforum
9 posters

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes?

3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Empty Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes?

Post by 3rdforum Thu 25 Aug 2016 - 19:33

I remember Minty saying that he got to Teide before on a bus and more or less freewheeled back to Los Cristianos but that was a few years ago. I can't remember if the Titsa buses have a luggage compartment and I wouldn't mind doing the same thing next time? Anyone got info on whether the public buses can accommodate bicycles?
    Ted Zeppelin
    Ted Zeppelin

England Male Posts : 12

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Empty Re: Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes?

Post by Ted Zeppelin Thu 25 Aug 2016 - 20:52

3rdforum wrote:I remember Minty saying that he got to Teide before on a bus and more or less freewheeled back to Los Cristianos but that was a few years ago. I can't remember if the Titsa buses have a luggage compartment and I wouldn't mind doing the same thing next time? Anyone got info on whether the public buses can accommodate bicycles?
    I have taken a Mountain bike by Titsa bus from San Isidro to Silencio on the 470. The bike went underneath and thankfully there was just room for it. Needed to take out the saddle and remove the front wheel. The bus to Teide is unlikely to have much stored so I can't see it being a problem.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Empty Re: Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes?

Post by 3rdforum Thu 25 Aug 2016 - 20:56

Thanks Ted. I had a look on the titsa website and it said that it has to be folded/covered in such a manner that it won't damage anything else. As you said, the Teide route shouldn't have much luggage so I think I should be ok. Thanks again. Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 294053457
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 0:19

Think there is only 1 bus a day from Los Cris up to Teide
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 0:41

Bus will take a bike but I suspect not that one! No Bono cards on that route either I think. Fairly sure there is a firm that takes bikes up on a trailer behind a minibus and they all get on the bikes at the top and zoom down. Seeing as you will be hiring a bike anyway seems a better option to me.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 1:16

Thanks Vince. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that company. The only thing is, you have to descend as a group. I would prefer to do my own thing. The rest would just hold me back Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 1483819851
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 1:40

They will catch up when you fall off though. Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 2419626307  And the minibus will pick up the bits and transport you to the Green Hospital.........
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 13:53

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 3025408739 Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 3025408739 Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 3025408739
    Ted Zeppelin
    Ted Zeppelin

England Male Posts : 12

Post by Ted Zeppelin Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 14:49

Having descended Teide myself, I would add that the wind chill made me surprisingly cold. If I ever do it again, I would take a warm shirt with me. (or maybe descend rather slower)
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 14:57

How did you get the bike to Teide Ted?
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 16:53

Like Gypsay says one bus a day, leaves about 8/9 in the morning, and like PS says although it's a Titsa bus they don't accept the Bono card on it but it ain't to expensive, can't remember exactly what...

Bus leaves from PDLA bus station, then stops  Los Cris bus station and various stops on the way up, first time I done it on my own when I lived out there, got on bus at Los Cris but even by that time the bus was almost full, it's not just cyclists, a lot of walkers get the bus up, then the same bus back down about 16:00, second time I done it with Annie we Cycled up to PDLA bus station to be sure to get on, go prepared to be able to remove the bikes wheels because seemingly if there a lot of people with bikes the bus driver asked for them to be removed to get all the bikes on, the twice I've done it I never had to... 

Bus takes you up to the cable car but you can request to get off at various points, if you go right up to the cable car the first four km or so back down are downhill/flat, but then you hit about a five km steep climb, I pushed the bike most of the way up it both times, took about three quarters of a hour, if you don't want to tackle the climb ask the driver to drop you off at the big picnic area at the top of the main climb up, from there down you don't have to touch the pedals... Take jeans and a sweat shirt with you as seemingly it can get nasty up there above cloud level, both times I done it I looked at the weather forecast and chose days when no cloud was predicted but there was sill a bit up there, only time other than being in shorts that I had to put jeans/sweat shirt on was when coming through the cloud and that was mainly due to wind chill due to the speed I was doing, first time I done it on my own bike which had a speedo on it, 36mph and that was just rolling...

First beer stop is Villa Flora, important to know that...
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 17:11

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 3318427985 Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 3318427985 Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 294053457
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 17:13

Think I mentioned it before all Annie done was moan about the bike saddle hurting her arse, then on the    day we done Tiede she was allways a good bit behind me slowing for corners and steep downhill bits, as we stop for a beer break I could see a moan coming as we dismounted, I'm thinking it's gonna be about her sore arse but no, "look at my hands" they were pink with the amount of effort she'd been putting in to braking... (She still said she'd do it again, totally enjoyed the day)

Last stop on the way down was where Gypsy stays for tapas can't recall what the place was called now but it was yum...
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 17:27

Was it Julia's?
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 17:32

Small place but well done up inside would have been on original road up/down from Tiede before new road now bypasses it...
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 17:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 18:00

No, not that, just a small place at the side of the road...
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 18:07

These are from Google Maps, it's the old building opposition the "Shelll" petrol station which ain't, the place has been done up since this picture was taken...

It's the place in the first photo...

Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Image22
    Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Image23[url=https://servimg.com/view/16935853/1124]Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Image22[/url]
    Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Image23
    [url=https://servimg.com/view/16935853/1126]Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Image24[/url]
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 18:51

I think that's it Minty, it was right on the bend of the old road.
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 20:12

I KNOW ONE OR TWO BIKES THAT USE THE TITSA, ONE IS VINCE
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 20:59

Those pics are taken in my village and the building you are on about is La Tasca, mainly a bar where Spanish and Germans congregate.  Carol and Ben had a drink there once and liked it.  I've never eaten there.

La Finca which is behind the Shell Building (that has never been open in the 11 years we hve lived here) now has music most days and is very Spanish.  I dont like the smell of their oil as it smells as if it has never been changed in the past couple of years.

The Treehouse, our local on a Thursday is CRAP just been taken over by new people and inside 4 weeks they have ruined a business that has been a little gold mind through hardwork over the past 5 years.

We are now looking for a new venue for our Thursday quiz
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 21:01

So were you ever in Julia's cafe in Vila Flor Gypsy?
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 21:13

Is that the one on the corner?  I'll have a look on Google
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 21:15

Yeah, it was right on the bend! Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? 294053457
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 21:24

This is the only one I have ever stopped at for a drink, not food and it was just OK.  Can Tenerife ( Public) Buses Carry Bikes? Screen12

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2024 - 3:32