Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+4
Adam Mint
Topdog
Mermaid
Campbell Brodie
8 posters

Tenerife.

Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Tenerife. - Page 2 Empty Re: Tenerife.

Post by Topdog Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 22:35

For affordable price and quality you had the better deal by far.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 2:31

Great pictures, the harbour looks empty? Recall a couple of years or so back the authorities were trying to get rid of the illegally moored boats that they were charging mooring fees for, has it happened?

Tenerife. - Page 2 1356759623 Tenerife. - Page 2 3996330506
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 10:37

Yes it has changed Adam. It is so much more organized and no broken small boats rotting away anymore..The area's up near the Arona Gran that were just stones etc no sand are slowing improving. They have sorted the steps down to it and you can see they are making tidy areas there. I look forward to seeing the outcome there. I have always wondered why with a big place like the Arona Gran the so called beach area is a tip.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 12:19

Adam Mint wrote:Great pictures, the harbour looks empty? Recall a couple of years or so back the authorities were trying to get rid of the illegally moored boats that they were charging mooring fees for, has it happened?

Tenerife. - Page 2 1356759623 Tenerife. - Page 2 3996330506

They have made the inner harbour into a marina with those floating docks you can walk down to your boat. Got electric points and what not. I assume they now charge fees so all the little rotten dinghys will have been taken away by those who weren't willing to pay. Looks very upmarket now but I don't suppose the locals will like it...
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 12:37

Rumour has it they want Cruise ships in by 2014.
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Post by Mermaid Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 12:45

I heard that a long time ago but can't see how that could happen as the harbour is not huge
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 12:48

Topdog wrote:Rumour has it they want Cruise ships in by 2014.

Where the hell will they go Kev? Two Armas ships come in together and one has to wait outside 'til the other one has docked/left. It's too wee really. They would have to drop anchor outside and transfer to shuttle craft to take them back and forwards...I can't see it happening mate, plus they don't have the luxury-end shops (not many anyway), that the (richer) cruise clientele are looking for. You never know though, it would be nice to see it happen. Tenerife. - Page 2 294053457
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 13:16

The only rich ones are the Russians. I would assume they will build a new pier on the Las Vistas side.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 13:37

Not sure Cam, just one snippet I have located here
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 13:46

Half a million euros to spend.......Errrrrr, pay off the lookie lookie men?
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 13:49

Yeah but 500k would just be an enticement for Cruise line company money. You watch the money roll in if it happens, especially for the lure of Cruise and stay in the Mare Nostrum and Big Fanny bait hotels.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 14:23

Perfectspecimen wrote:The only rich ones are the Russians. I would assume they will build a new pier on the Las Vistas side.

Don't think it's deep enough round there mate...unless they build another pier out at right angles to the existing pier.

Topdog wrote:Not sure Cam, just one snippet I have locatedhere

Good enough Kev, they source El Dia so there must be something in it. Still, when Spain get hit with austerity cuts, this will be one of the first ideas to be dropped, especially with the powerful lobby groups that will want to keep the liners in Santa Cruz.

Perfectspecimen wrote:Half a million euros to spend.......Errrrrr, pay off the lookie lookie men?

Yeah, half a mil might just about give the place a new paint job.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 14:47

Yeah but Santa Cruz a bit boring for general Cruise line passengers and many of them would have probably done the 4 or 5 variety of trips available on board. If the hit LA, Los Cris, area a lot more to do and choice, plus the Golf courses. Wales and Dolphin trips etc.
    Easy enough to cut a channel these days, if the go ahead is given no austerity measures will stop the likes of P and O.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 16:41

Approx four/five years ago while on holiday in Tenerife, the local freebie newspapers were full of an article about the future development of Los Cristianos harbour with the view of accommodate cruise ships. I have searched the net to try and come up with the articles but am drawing a blank, an artist’s impression of the harbour development and cruise ship terminal was shown, in my opinion it was very “space age” and totally out of context in relation to location.

I personally like the ramshackle mix of Los Cris harbour, it’s real, ferries, fishing boats, tourist craft and a spattering of private boats of all shapes and sizes bobbing about on their moorings, not forgetting the boat yard, fish stalls and excellent bar above the fish market, just as it should be, authentic. I have nothing against the “marina” style pontoons etc, but in their place, such as Porto Colon, but just leave Los Cris as it is/was...

Please...

Tenerife. - Page 2 3996330506
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 16:51

Adam Mint wrote:Approx four/five years ago while on holiday in Tenerife, the local freebie newspapers were full of an article about the future development of Los Cristianos harbour with the view of accommodate cruise ships. I have searched the net to try and come up with the articles but am drawing a blank, an artist’s impression of the harbour development and cruise ship terminal was shown, in my opinion it was very “space age” and totally out of context in relation to location.

I personally like the ramshackle mix of Los Cris harbour, it’s real, ferries, fishing boats, tourist craft and a spattering of private boats of all shapes and sizes bobbing about on their moorings, not forgetting the boat yard, fish stalls and excellent bar above the fish market, just as it should be, authentic. I have nothing against the “marina” style pontoons etc, but in their place, such as Porto Colon, but just leave Los Cris as it is/was...

Please...

Tenerife. - Page 2 3996330506

Too late Adam, the marina style pontoons are there already in the inner harbour. (Where the wee dinghys used to be tied to the harbour wall)
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Post by Mermaid Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 17:21

Adam I know what you mean. It has changed a lot from what it used to be. It has lost the real tenerife feeling. It is hard for me to put it into words. The huts are still there selling the trips but i never heard them shouting you as you waked past as they used to do. Further on they have removed the rubbish bins and put a benches and tubs of flowers which is a improvement at that bit. The people fishing are still there so you have to watch out when they swing there rod back.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 18:19

Must admit I prefer the way A Dam describes it. If they want Cruise ships build a new harbour at Fanabe, or better still leave them at Santa Cruz. The other thing of course is what would they do to the Whales and Dolphins.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 18:31

Yeh LR/Mermaid/TD, read what you said earlier about the floating pontoons, still don’t want them...

But suppose its progress, imagine what the locals thought when the current ferry terminals went in... Suppose it’s what your used to...

Glad to see the Arona Grand end develop, or at least tidy up, was a bit of a waste land, how have the new units there developed, last time I was over there were only a couple opened up as bars, they were ok, all be it a bit expensive.

Mermaid
    Mermaid

Post by Mermaid Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:07

There are still only about 5 there now. I only went to Charlotte's which was lovely. I didn't like the look of the others.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:22

Is that the one on the corner, if it is, it was the first to open, then the one next door, cant recall the name...

Mermaid wrote:There are still only about 5 there now. I only went to
    Charlotte's which was lovely. I didn't like the look of the others.
    Yes Charlottes on the corner. Two of the waiters were very helpful and took my order and brought it to me. My one complaint was when I wanted another coffee and the bill it seemed I was invisible. In the end I shouted to a waiter EXCUSE ME.

I did go for breakfast one morning and i went up to the bar to pay as a waiter was not to be seen,I should just have walked out ha ha
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:28

Just looked on Goodle Earth to see how deep it is but wont tell me that close to shore. However just 8 miles West of Cristianos its 2000m deep. Makes the North Sea look like a paddling pool.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:38

Adam Mint wrote:
    Mermaid wrote:There are still only about 5 there now. I only went to Charlotte's which was lovely. I didn't like the look of the others.

Is that the one on the corner, if it is, it was the first to open, then the one next door, cant recall the name...

Yes Charlottes on the corner. Two of the waiters were very helpful and took my order and brought it to me. My one complaint was when I wanted another coffee and the bill it seemed I was invisible. In the end I shouted to a waiter EXCUSE ME.

I did go for breakfast one morning and i went up to the bar to pay as a waiter was not to be seen,I should just have walked out ha ha

I did not write red bit ???
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 26 Apr 2012 - 19:43

Adam Mint wrote:
    Adam Mint wrote:
    Mermaid wrote:There are still only about 5 there now. I only went to Charlotte's which was lovely. I didn't like the look of the others.

I did not write red bit ???

I've edited it AM.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 7 May 2024 - 8:21