Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+2
Campbell Brodie
3rdforum
6 posters

Ireland's Poll Tax

3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Ireland's Poll Tax Empty Ireland's Poll Tax

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:18

Our government is trying to bring in a "property" tax called the "household charge" starting off next year at 100 euro. This will at the very least TRIPLE the following year and likely to TRIPLE again over the following 2 years. The money is supposed to go for local services ( even though we are the most taxed state in the EU). In 2004, I paid 11,600 euro "for services which MAY be provided in the future" in order to gain planning permission for our house. This was in addition to the 6000 euro I paid in "stamp duty" (Stamp duty is charged on the instruments used in the transfer of property, in other words, the conveyance documents that transfer ownership of the
    property) ON TOP of the Vat @21% when buying the site.

I pay 360 euro a year to get my bins collected. I paid 2000 euro to get connected to a private group water scheme ( 400 annually). I paid 2000 euro to get connected to our electricity grid. I pay 250 euro annually to get my septic tank emptied. School transport for Eoghan will cost 350 euro next year. School books will be in excess of 500 euro. ( not to mention uniforms, copies, sports kits etc ). His secondary school are looking for a "voluntary" contribution of 250 euro. GP costs 50 euro per visit. A perscription costs 10 euro. And we have to pay for any medicines up to a limit of 132 euro per month (kind of them innit Ireland's Poll Tax 16779677). The only new thing our village has got in the last 10 years is a new playground and guess what, the funds were raised entirely by donations and fund raising locally)

Now they want us to register for this new tax before the end of this month. Unfeckinbelievable!. If I have to serve time because of this I will. The govermnment are threatening to prosecute a few people in each area to show they mean business. Well, they can have my name and address no problem. Give me my day in court. I'll shout all the way to the holding cells. They are trying to force this through no matter what, even apparently resorting to taking money directly from bank accounts

Story

Last edited by 3rdforum on Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:26; edited 1 time in total
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Ireland's Poll Tax Empty Re: Ireland's Poll Tax

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:26

Get your money out the bank Dermo. Use the same one Reg uses (Think it's called Bank of Kitts and St Nevis or some such...off-shore innit Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739 ).
    Seriously though, that's some amount of readys they take. Move to blighty mate.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:31

Our revenue service can track off shore accounts anywhere. ( They even signed an agreement with Switzerland for disclosure of accounts held by Irish citizens) . I'm moving to Rockall ( disputed territory innit ) and setting up my own bank Ireland's Poll Tax 4191362722
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 19:41

3rdforum wrote:Our revenue service can track off shore accounts anywhere. ( They even signed an agreement with Switzerland for disclosure of accounts held by Irish citizens) . I'm moving to Rockall ( disputed territory innit ) and setting up my own bank Ireland's Poll Tax 4191362722

Haha! Just listened to the Wolfetones...better not put it on here.
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:15

I take it your not paying Dermot?...If so fair play to you.
    A mass campaign of non payment and people on the streets and this unjust tax could be stopped.
    If there is a mass campaign organised I will be turning up to show support and try and get a stop put to this.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:17

Move to Scotland, rains a lot, freezing cold, you will feel at home. Free Uni for the kids too. Dont worry we English wont mind paying, well used to it we are. And just in case you think I'm joking, I aint. If I was you I would get out soon as.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:22

Perfectspecimen wrote:Move to Scotland, rains a lot, freezing cold, you will feel at home. Free Uni for the kids too. Dont worry we English wont mind paying, well used to it we are. And just in case you think I'm joking, I aint. If I was you I would get out soon as.

You forgot the free prescriptions Vince...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:26

The list is probably endless......sigh......
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:27

Just move up the road here to sunny Ulster and leave dark,dreary Connacht behind forever.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:29

CaribeCelt wrote:Just move up the road here to sunny Ulster and leave dark,dreary Connacht behind forever.

I did a tour in Derry...pissed down there as well! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739 Remember the camp below the Craigavon bridge?
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:32

The Lone Ranger wrote:
    CaribeCelt wrote:Just move up the road here to sunny Ulster and leave dark,dreary Connacht behind forever.

I did a tour in Derry...pissed down there as well! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739 Remember the camp below the Craigavon bridge?

Pissing down with what?
    Bricks,bottles and PBs Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739
    I know Craigavon bridge but I don't know Derry that well mate.

Last edited by CaribeCelt on Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:37; edited 1 time in total
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:37

I have a sister in law not too far from Newry. I reckon I could persaude the wife to move no bother. The only thing against it is I haven't a hope of selling my house any time soon. Because of that, I'm caught by the short and curlies.

I see they opened the "Peace Bridge" in Derry, Cam. It joins nationalist and Unionist areas.
    Ireland's Poll Tax Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJy_N2tfJL8w2--sUlDA3IlqF_zSsj2mW2hBH1UIZJb8pUPwk0Pw

Never been to Derry. Its the city of culture this year I think. Might take a trip up there in the autumn
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:38

CaribeCelt wrote:

Pissing down with what?

Feckin' army had no idea. As soon as the riot squad went on the street it was like feckin' target practice at the coconut shy! Where did they find all them half-bricks? Thousands there were. I think Fred Dibnah was selling the feckers...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:40

I see they have designed it so its easy to hang the barbed wire........
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:43

Many years ago, I used to work for a national bus company here. I was in the ticket office and a yank came to the window looking for a ticket to Londonderry. I told him "no such place exists". He got very annoyed and started pointing to his map where it said "Londonderry" I told him that he must have bought his map in a very disreputable establishment and could recommend a few far better places to shop. Yank wanted to see my manager who duly came to the window to talk to him. "You're BOY here, won't sell me a ticket to Londonderry" he said. "Wheres that? Never heard of it" said my manager!! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739

Poor yank. He had a chat with someone else in the queue and came back looking for a ticket to Derry. "Thats one lesson you won't forget" I told him! Sometimes you just have to take a stand. Viva la revolution!
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:44

The Lone Ranger wrote:
    CaribeCelt wrote:

Pissing down with what?

Feckin' army had no idea. As soon as the riot squad went on the street it was like feckin' target practice at the coconut shy! Where did they find all them half-bricks? Thousands there were. I think Fred Dibnah was selling the feckers...

Builders who were "sympathetic" used to dump skip loads of bricks and other material in our area so I take it that's how the Derry ruffians got their's as wellIreland's Poll Tax 3025408739
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:44

Perfectspecimen wrote:I see they have designed it so its easy to hang the barbed wire........

No need Vince, enough expertise on both sides to blow it up if necessary Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:47

3rdforum wrote:
    Perfectspecimen wrote:I see they have designed it so its easy to hang the barbed wire........

No need Vince, enough expertise on both sides to blow it up if necessary Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739

Ah, the improvised "Bangalore torpedo"...takes me back that.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:48

Dermot you forgot to mention the road tax..........
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:50

CaribeCelt wrote:

Builders who were "sympathetic" used to dump skip loads of bricks and other material in our area so I take it that's how the Derry ruffians got their's as wellIreland's Poll Tax 3025408739

What do you reckon the future holds CC? Can't see a united Ireland anytime soon. Look at my original post and see what people in the north have to look forward to if we get rid of the border. Who wants to be taxed to the point of penary? Nationalists would think twice methinks.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:53

Perfectspecimen wrote:Dermot you forgot to mention the road tax..........

I had forgotten, thanks Vince. 700 quid a year for a 1.9 litre car. Shower of bassas. I'll paraphrase Conor Cruise-O'Brien again, "We should hand the country back to the Queen and apologise for the balls we made of it"
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 20:55

The Lone Ranger wrote:
    3rdforum wrote:

Ah, the improvised "Bangalore torpedo"...takes me back that.

I actually meant the bridge not the barbed wire! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739 Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 21:05

The future in my opinion is bleak.
    Although there is peace on the streets there is no peace between the two sides,the hatred is still as bad,if not worse.
    We have segragated communities and schools and the stormont setup is a sectarian arrangement,where Nationalists control the west of the bann and Unionists the East.
    All the above ingrediants will eventually explode into violence.
    A united Ireland may be a long way off but it is something I strongly wish to see dermott.
    A proper Republic that looks after its people and their welfare and not the interests of the Gombeen man,but I will not support the use of violence to achieve it.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 21:07

3rdforum wrote:

I actually meant the bridge not the barbed wire! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739 Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739

Ooops! Ireland's Poll Tax 3025408739
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 21:08

3rdforum wrote:
    Perfectspecimen wrote:Dermot you forgot to mention the road tax..........

I had forgotten, thanks Vince. 700 quid a year for a 1.9 litre car. Shower of bassas. I'll paraphrase Conor Cruise-O'Brien again, "We should hand the country back to the Queen and apologise for the balls we made of it"

Anything O Brien said should be sent to the history bin forever.
    Men like him and his ilk have the country in the mess it is in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 3 May 2024 - 3:14