Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

5 posters

Footballer dies of suspected heart attack.

CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Footballer dies of suspected heart attack. Empty Footballer dies of suspected heart attack.

Post by CaribeCelt Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 22:02

All football in Italy has been cancelled after a player collapsed and died on the pitch in a Serie B match.
    I seen some of images on the news and the whole stadium was absolutely distraught.
    This type of incident seems to be on the increase as this is the third or fourth year in a row this has happened in europe alone.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17714715
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Footballer dies of suspected heart attack. Empty Re: Footballer dies of suspected heart attack.

Post by 3rdforum Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 22:26

Saw this earlier today. Its about time that all sport participants are screened on a regular basis.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Footballer dies of suspected heart attack. Empty Re: Footballer dies of suspected heart attack.

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 22:43

3rdforum wrote:Saw this earlier today. Its about time that all sport participants are screened on a regular basis.

I would like to think that Fabrice Muamba being a Premier League player had regular medical checks, yet look what happened there.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 22:54

Apparently he was last screened a few years ago Cam. The recommended amount for athletes who compete at a high level, to the best of my knowledge, is bi-annual screening. Even the top clubs don't do it that often. We have a drive on over here by the GAA ( Gaelic Athletic Association ) to screen inter county players. One of the brightest Gaelic footballs stars died of Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome a few years ago and this has caused the subject to maintain a strong presence in the media ever since. They think for "ordinary" people, a once off screening would normally suffice.

Last edited by 3rdforum on Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 23:16; edited 1 time in total
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 23:11

The Cormac McAnallen trust has done some great work around the country and raising the awarness about SADS syndrome,Dermot.
    I know most football matches have defibrallators,but do the county players only get screened once or what?
    Is the GAA big wigs against the players getting multiple screenings?
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 23:16

I knew the old Roscommon team doctor CC. He was insisting they get screened at least once a year. Apparently, when your heart is under stress, the syndrome can develop later in life. With regard to the big wigs, I don't think this is a subject they can be seen to be dragging their feet over.
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 23:23

3rdforum wrote:I knew the old Roscommon team doctor CC. He was insisting they get screened at least once a year. Apparently, when your heart is under stress, the syndrome can develop later in life. With regard to the big wigs, I don't think this is a subject they can be seen to be dragging their feet over.

Was the Roscommon county players paying for the screening out of their own pocket or was HQ?
    Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Post by Blyth Spirit Sun 15 Apr 2012 - 8:33

Terrible news, it's a shock when any professional sports person dies as they are at the peak of fitness but just like everybody else when your times up its up.
    Makes the muamba situation all the more remarkable.
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Sun 15 Apr 2012 - 9:00

Blyth Spirit wrote:Terrible news, it's a shock when any professional sports person dies as they are at the peak of fitness but just like everybody else when your times up its up.
    Makes the muamba situation all the more remarkable.

Thats what I find difficult to get my head around. They train and are fit,so why is this not picked up before.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 9 May 2024 - 21:20