Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+4
Daryn
Mermaid
Campbell Brodie
Gypsy
8 posters

What were you doing on 9/11

Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

What were you doing on 9/11 Empty What were you doing on 9/11

Post by Gypsy Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 19:08

Everyday this week we have been inundated with stories about 9/11. It was a terrible tragedy and I can remember exactly how I heard about it.

But......... If it had happened anywhere other than America would we be hearing so much about it. Did the Americans hear for days on end about our terrorist attack 7/7 and while many were killed in 9/11 if you add the numbers together of those killed in 7/7 and the troubles in Ireland (helped along by the USA) is there much difference.

I don´t mean to be unsympathetic but the UK has also been there. What were you doing on 9/11 2761542443
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

What were you doing on 9/11 Empty Re: What were you doing on 9/11

Post by Gypsy Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 19:20

If this should turn into a debate, punch up, :hit: I won´t be involved as I am going to take my dog for a walk shortly. Far too hot to do it earlier :Big Smile:
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 19:28

I remember getting on to my youngest daughter who was 15 at the time. It was all over TV with the planes crashing into the WTC towers and she wasn't interested. I said to her that what she was watching would probably be one of the biggest historical moments in her life, but she couldn't care less. 15 years old with boys on her mind no doubt! What were you doing on 9/11 1498946960
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 19:29

I was at work in a call centre. One of the guys on a call mentioned that a customer had just seen on the news a plane flying into the world trade centre. A tv was switched on and we all could not believe what we were seeing. When I finished work and got home I found out it was even more shocking. It does not seem like 10yrs since it happened.
    Daryn
    Daryn

UK Male Posts : 656

Post by Daryn Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 20:22

I remember being in our back yard doing a bit work ,the wife called me in and we watched it on cnn news then just as we were shocked it showed the second plane going into the second building then I knew it was terrorists. I still remember being really shocked at what I was watching.
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 21:38

I was a Training manager at a Pharmaceutical company and was in the middle of assessing someone doing their NVQ, we went to the training room and watched it, then we did the assessment 3 weeks later because I went on a cruise a couple of days after. That was the horrible part for us, it was a fly cruise and the airports were absolute chaos. I don't mean that selfishly because the whole thing was horrific.
    I must agree with gypsy as this is the first time of a serious bombing attack of mainland America, they have escaped many wars without, so this is a big deal for them but a sad happening that many other countries have experienced in one way or another.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 22:01

I'm not sure how the U.S. helped the troubles over here, but on Sep 11, I was at work trying to find missing petty cash as the auditors were coming in the following week. My boss came in to say there was a strange incident involving a plane and the Twin Towers. I thought, in my innocence, that it must have been a catastrophic computer error that guided a plane in on the wrong course when it was landing. Everyone piled into the staff canteen and were mesmerised and horrified at the same time when the second plane hit. I bought 4 newspapers the following day so I could keep them to show my kids in future years.
    Shakira
    Shakira

Male Posts : 8

Post by Shakira Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 22:49

Sitting on a bench overlooking the see in Pembrokeshire. Someone came up to me and said a plane had hit the Trade Centre in America and I just thought it was some nutter and ignored him.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 0:42

As I remember it I had just picked up the kids from school and by chance I put the telly on soon after the first plane had hit. Obviously thought it was some sort of terrible accident but then a few minutes later second plane hits other tower. Well I was glued to the telly for the rest of the day. A previous poster alluded that this was the first raid on US soil, it was not. The Japanese done it at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. All I am going to say at the moment is I am not the greatest fan of the US Government and indeed ours who seem to blindly follow the leader no matter what the cost. I fully expect to get shot down in flames for my views, especially from ex-servicemen, but IMHO I think the US are the bullies of the World and shouldn't be too surprised if someone bites back. What were you doing on 9/11 2761542443
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:27

Perfectspecimen wrote:As I remember it I had just picked up the kids from school and by chance I put the telly on soon after the first plane had hit. Obviously thought it was some sort of terrible accident but then a few minutes later second plane hits other tower. Well I was glued to the telly for the rest of the day. A previous poster alluded that this was the first raid on US soil, it was not. The Japanese done it at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. All I am going to say at the moment is I am not the greatest fan of the US Government and indeed ours who seem to blindly follow the leader no matter what the cost. I fully expect to get shot down in flames for my views, especially from ex-servicemen, but IMHO I think the US are the bullies of the World and shouldn't be too surprised if someone bites back. What were you doing on 9/11 2761542443

Yep, you reap what you sow!. This is not a criticism of the brave men and women who serve their countries with distinction rather a pop at the governments and "old boy's networks" who are the cause of the conflicts in the first place.

Last edited by 3rdforum on Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 17:38; edited 1 time in total
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 13:49

Perfectspecimen wrote:As I remember it I had just picked up the kids from school and by chance I put the telly on soon after the first plane had hit. Obviously thought it was some sort of terrible accident but then a few minutes later second plane hits other tower. Well I was glued to the telly for the rest of the day. A previous poster alluded that this was the first raid on US soil, it was not. The Japanese done it at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. All I am going to say at the moment is I am not the greatest fan of the US Government and indeed ours who seem to blindly follow the leader no matter what the cost. I fully expect to get shot down in flames for my views, especially from ex-servicemen, but IMHO I think the US are the bullies of the World and shouldn't be too surprised if someone bites back. What were you doing on 9/11 2761542443

That was me Vince I said on mainland USA, Hawaiiiiiii, like Tenerife is an Island, mere technicality. You are right about US gov though. At Gosport in Hants years ago there was a US navy base, it had a sign saying US Navy Second to None" my Dad and his ship mates put one up next to it saying "British Royal Navy, NONE"
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 13:50

3rdforum wrote:

Yep, you reap what you sow!. This is not a criticism of th e brave men and women who serve their countries with distinction rather a pop at the governments and "old boy's networks" who are the cause of the conflicts in the first place.

Totally agree with the above posts.
    Sadly the soldiers who fight are most often the ones who have no idea what they're fighting for.

On that fateful day, I was at work in the US embassy in an African country and being of Middle Eastern origin, the relationship with my employers turned from one of trust and respect to one of suspicion.
    There were many tears in the embassy auditorium as we watched the events unfold but as the saying goes.................

Terror begets terror.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 20:46

Surely there is someone who disagrees with my opinions. When I said something similar last week in the pub there was certainly no shortage.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 20:48

Yeah but you ain't been scrounging beer off us all night, so we don't mind. :hang:
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 20:54

Perfectspecimen wrote:Surely there is someone who disagrees with my opinions. When I said something similar last week in the pub there was certainly no shortage.

Serves you right for joining a forum with like minded people! What were you doing on 9/11 3025408739
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 21:02

Shit happens.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 21:05

Thanks V.