Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

4 posters

Paddle Steamers...

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Paddle Steamers... Empty Paddle Steamers...

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 16:25

Paddle Steamers...
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Came across above when viewing the bbc news page, been on a couple of them, can recall being on the Maid of the Loch when I was a kid, then when the Tall Ships race started from Leith a few years back the Waverley was there doing trips, we went out on her to watch the start of the race, party started on the boat and ended up in a city centre bar, great night if I recall...

The picture below is of the “Director”, not a paddle steamer but a Director Class paddle tug pictured at Rosyth in 1974, got the opportunity to see around her once, being admiralty she was immaculate and the main bit of interest to me the engine room, as clean, if not cleaner than the galley, and an odd piece of kit, four Paxman engines driving generators which powered two electric motors, one for each paddle, which were geared down to the paddles via the biggest chains I have ever see in my life...

Paddle Steamers... Direct10

Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Paddle Steamers... Empty Re: Paddle Steamers...

Post by Mcqueen Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 16:27

Morse chains probably,
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 16:41

Don’t know who made them but they were fu#king huge...

Paddle Steamers... 2419626307
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 16:50

Adam Mint wrote:Don’t know who made them but they were fu#king huge...

Paddle Steamers... 2419626307

Morse is a kind of chain, I'm not sure if its a make, I have one as a timing chain in my Willy's jeep, First time i ever saw one when taking it to bits, Had it 44 years, £60 when i was 14, me and older brother went to rescue somebody in our Austin Champ, The Willys is a thorn in my side, how we won the war i dont know Paddle Steamers... 1498946960
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 17:17

Paddle Steamers... M1110
    Morse manufacture conventional roller chains as above, and invented the inverted tooth chain (Morse Chain) as below...
    Paddle Steamers... M210
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 18:09

Blady rubber belts now Paddle Steamers... 1498946960
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 18:25

Austin Champ,,, many years ago not long after we had all past our driving tests, one of my mates (Ian) picked one of them up, needed a fair bit of work to get it roadworthy so he moved it out of town to a relatives of his who had a builders yard and big shed, he then spent a couple of years of his youth in said shed doing it up with the occasional bit of help from myself and another of my mates (Kev).
    The big day arrived and it was being taken for its MOT, I was not involved but Kev was accompanying Ian, on the way from said shed to the MOT station they had to drive past a shale bing (slag heap), Ian decided to test the Champs off road capabilities, after buzzing around the bing for a bit Ian decided to check out the Champs reversing capabilities, in that the Champ had five forward gears which with a flick of a lever became five reverse gears, off they set at great speed in reverse, this is when Ian discovered caster angle. Caster angle relates to a vehicles steering, it’s when you let go of the steering wheel after turning a corner and the steering self centers,,, well in reverse the opposite happens, it goes on to full lock, and at a fast reversing speed it does this very quickly, the Champ flipped in to the air, Kev was ejected from the passenger seat at great speed and witnessed the event from an aerial position prior to landing, splat, but mainly still in one piece,,, Ian on the other hand was not so fortunate, the Champ landed on his leg...
    Result, one written off Champ, a plastered leg and a lot of piss taking in the pub...
    PS; looking on the bright side, he saved on the MOT fee...

Austin Champ
    Paddle Steamers... Ag10

Shale Bing
    Paddle Steamers... Ags10
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 18:32

Lovely pit bing that AM... Paddle Steamers... 3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 18:42

Ha ha Paddle Steamers... 3025408739 Well you have to see how fast you can go backwards, A great road vehicle, but far too over engineered and heavy for off road, but i could leave mine for months and it would start, The Willy's nah, 6 volt crap,
    On the rare occasions it did start you wouldnt want to go far, too light and bumpy, The Champ was like a limo, but at 8mpg you couldnt afford it, Like i said, "How we won the war i dont know"
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 23:57

You give me the Willys Reg, no, seriously. I will be your friend for life. Paddle Steamers... 3025408739 The rest of you plebs wont have a clue what its worth. Paddle Steamers... 1498946960
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sat 9 Mar 2013 - 10:25

Perfectspecimen wrote:You give me the Willys Reg, no, seriously. I will be your friend for life. Paddle Steamers... 3025408739 The rest of you plebs wont have a clue what its worth. Paddle Steamers... 1498946960

It will never be cashed in, 2 brothers and money dont mix Paddle Steamers... 1498946960, we have some 4 digit number plates too,
    they will just stay in a drawer aswell, If ever you see a lovely old house going to ruin chances are its a family that wont or cant agree what to do with the blady thing, Never mind, Paddle Steamers... 3025408739
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Sat 9 Mar 2013 - 20:16

Do you know I cant remember writing that last night Reg. So I either have old timers disease or a serious alcohol problem... Paddle Steamers... 1498946960
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sat 9 Mar 2013 - 20:35

The latter i think, your quite sharp when sober Paddle Steamers... 3025408739
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Sun 10 Mar 2013 - 13:46

I never post wif a dwink iin me.,.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 17:46