Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+4
3rdforum
Perfectspecimen
Mermaid
Blyth Spirit
8 posters

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover.

Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Empty Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover.

Post by Blyth Spirit Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 7:16

As the title states, a rather fitting summary of a superb weekend in a vibrant city that has a much going on cant recommend it highly enough.

It was an early flight from Newcastle via Easyjet bang on time (flight took 35 minutes !, it can take me that long to get to work some days !), straight through airport, as we only had hand luggage, and onto airport shuttle £10 return (tkts sold by Easyjet in flght or in the terminal) took 30 minutes through so lovely countryside and some deep snow in places but nothing in other a miles down the road very weird.
    Arrived at city centre bus terminal and thanks to my research (sponsored by Google maps) short walk past rather grand BBC building we arrived at Radisson Blu situated in the redeveloped Gas Works, ultra modern hotel in with some great industrial old red brick buildings.
    Lovely girl on reception give us our room at 9am and upon asking where we were from as it must have been an early flight she offered us discounted the full breakfast at our booking price, (£8) rather than the walk in rather steep £16.95 !, very kind offer and was in keeping with the whole weekend
    Drop our bag in the lovely corner room over looking the water feature and old buildings then had a superb hearty Irish breakfast and getting room so early we had time for an hours nap before heading into city centre, we'd have been knackered if they hadn't been so kind to give us our room rather than leaving our case but I suppose that's the service you get using good quality hotels

It was a 5 minute wander into city centre and after look around we took the sightseeing tour (see thread below) once again customer service was superb, I asked price jovial guy laughed and said well you don't look like students too well dressed and you' ve shaved but you'll be students of life and we all are always learning so you are students and give us the discounted price that was the theme of the weekend the people of Belfast are superb great craic.

After superb tour did the obligatory looking around shops then a few pints of the black stuff, unfortunately the only up owns by National Trust The Crown was closed so found another great traditional pub for a bite to eat, before a few in the hotel them crashed after a long day.

Did the Titanic on Saturday (check 3rds review, as he review is better than I could do), I loved it wife was a tad disappointed at lack of artefacts from the shop itself, building is superb as is the entire site).
    Then heads to the MAC for the Andy Warhol exhibition we wanted to see, as excellent as you'd expect from such a talent.

City has some great old pubs like The Duke of York & Bittles Bar to name a few we liked.

All in all it was a great weekend and would highly recommend it to someone looking for a city break close to home, shirt & cheap flights excellent local transport.

Belfast has and may well still have issues/problems but the people are rightly proud of what they have and are so welcoming and keen to help visitors, at least 3 times we stopped and could have looks like we were looking for somewhere and were approached by people offering help & advise such genuine people.

Like I say don't judge a book by its cover Belfast is a great city give it a to you won't be disappointed.

Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Empty Re: Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover.

Post by Mermaid Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 7:34

sounds great. The Irish people I have always found very friendly and helpful.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Empty Re: Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover.

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 9:35

Dont like Guinness or museums or art galleries me, but nice review. Cultured members we have you see. Missed out the Falls road then eh? Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:07

Nope. He did the Falls and the Shankill Roads.

Here
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:08

Blyth Spirit wrote:As the title states, a rather fitting summary of a superb weekend in a vibrant city that has a much going on cant recommend it highly enough.

It was an early flight from Newcastle via Easyjet bang on time (flight took 35 minutes !, it can take me that long to get to work some days !), straight through airport, as we only had hand luggage, and onto airport shuttle £10 return (tkts sold by Easyjet in flght or in the terminal) took 30 minutes through so lovely countryside and some deep snow in places but nothing in other a miles down the road very weird.
    Arrived at city centre bus terminal and thanks to my research (sponsored by Google maps) short walk past rather grand BBC building we arrived at Radisson Blu situated in the redeveloped Gas Works, ultra modern hotel in with some great industrial old red brick buildings.
    Lovely girl on reception give us our room at 9am and upon asking where we were from as it must have been an early flight she offered us discounted the full breakfast at our booking price, (£8) rather than the walk in rather steep £16.95 !, very kind offer and was in keeping with the whole weekend
    Drop our bag in the lovely corner room over looking the water feature and old buildings then had a superb hearty Irish breakfast and getting room so early we had time for an hours nap before heading into city centre, we'd have been knackered if they hadn't been so kind to give us our room rather than leaving our case but I suppose that's the service you get using good quality hotels

It was a 5 minute wander into city centre and after look around we took the sightseeing tour (see thread below) once again customer service was superb, I asked price jovial guy laughed and said well you don't look like students too well dressed and you' ve shaved but you'll be students of life and we all are always learning so you are students and give us the discounted price that was the theme of the weekend the people of Belfast are superb great craic.

After superb tour did the obligatory looking around shops then a few pints of the black stuff, unfortunately the only up owns by National Trust The Crown was closed so found another great traditional pub for a bite to eat, before a few in the hotel them crashed after a long day.

Did the Titanic on Saturday (check 3rds review, as he review is better than I could do), I loved it wife was a tad disappointed at lack of artefacts from the shop itself, building is superb as is the entire site).
    Then heads to the MAC for the Andy Warhol exhibition we wanted to see, as excellent as you'd expect from such a talent.

City has some great old pubs like The Duke of York & Bittles Bar to name a few we liked.

All in all it was a great weekend and would highly recommend it to someone looking for a city break close to home, shirt & cheap flights excellent local transport.

Belfast has and may well still have issues/problems but the people are rightly proud of what they have and are so welcoming and keen to help visitors, at least 3 times we stopped and could have looks like we were looking for somewhere and were approached by people offering help & advise such genuine people.

Like I say don't judge a book by its cover Belfast is a great city give it a to you won't be disappointed.

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 4017463848 Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 4017463848 Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 4017463848
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:09

Mermaid wrote:sounds great. The Irish people I have always found very friendly and helpful.

It's why I'm so popular! Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 4226408756
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:40

3rdforum wrote:Nope. He did the Falls and the Shankill Roads.

Here

Oh, I did read it then. I posted at 12.03am, pissed...... Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:46

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739 Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 17:18

I'm going to try Belfast one time. Did you hire a car BS or just go on the tour transport?
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 17:41

Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Pig10

Try Shankill Car Hire...
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 17:50

Adam Mint wrote:Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Pig10

Try Shankill Car Hire...

Had my own one AM...
    I'm bottom right in the group photo...
    Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. Img02110
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:02

The old iron pig Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739,
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:27

Don't call Cam names Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 506932706
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:29

The Lone Ranger wrote:

Try Shankill Car Hire...

Had my own one AM...

Where were you based Cam?
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:31

3rdforum wrote:
    The Lone Ranger wrote:

Try Shankill Car Hire...

Had my own one AM...

Where were you based Cam?

Below Craigavon Bridge in Derry Dermo. Time before that we were in the towers in the Kesh and before that we were based in Lurgan.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:41

Bloody hell, talk about being in the thick of it. Did you patrol south Armagh when you were in Lurgan?
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:44

We were out in the country but I had no idea where I was. (I was only 18. You think you're fireproof at that age...) Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 1498946960
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 19:26

I'll put it this way, on some of the patrols, did you see ANY Union Jacks or was it all tricolours? Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3025408739 That area is still unpoliceable. Mind you, nobody steps out of line cos no one knows who the other person knows. Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3275847336
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 19:36

Nah, it was all tri-colours. The only time we saw the Union Jack was if we went to the Waterside in Derry!
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 19:44

I seen it on the tele, thats close enough Belfast - don't judge a book by the cover. 3707059870
    Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Post by Blyth Spirit Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 22:53

Sightseeing transport LR, they know the place better worth every penny.

Go to Belfast such a vibrant city centre you'll love it.

Parts of Belfast still have Union Jacks on lamp post as if its Jubilee Bunny that was all over this country last summer !.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 9:48

Those flags are there 24/7/365. You'll also see the kerbstones along some of the footpaths painted in blue/red/white or green/white/orange depending on where in the city you are
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Post by CaribeCelt Sun 5 May 2013 - 2:26

For those wishing to do the tours....Newry & S.Armagh are doing them know as well.
    Newry would be a great base to tour as your only about thirty five minutes from Belfast,An hour and ten from Dublin and you can always visit Newcastle,Silent Valley and the mountains of Mourne within forty mins.
    If Anybody ever decides to do this area contact me and I'll sort out digs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 4:32