Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+2
Mcqueen
Blyth Spirit
6 posters

Superb sign writing little film....

Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Superb sign writing little film.... Empty Superb sign writing little film....

Post by Blyth Spirit Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 7:08

A great little new video feature on the BBC, and the first is this superb piece about a sign writer.

Was trained at Graphic Design college by a superb sign writer Phil West, he hand painted all the shop signs for the local Fenwicks store.

Superb dying art, watch this guys control Superb sign writing little film.... 3318427985

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Superb sign writing little film.... Empty Re: Superb sign writing little film....

Post by Mcqueen Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 7:43

I knew a singwriter when i was younger, i used to watch him for hours, He had a hand cart with all his brightly painted ladders on, he used to point out old buildings with faded signs on that he did years ago, i still look out for them, Browns shops was one, and a coal merchant was another, took weeks to do them stood on a ladder, Geoff Johnson, I wonder if he is still alive ??
    If i get a van lettered up now i turn up and they usualy have the size already in the machine, Choose your colour and hey presto out it comes the other end, Not the same as watching them chalk up and get the old stool out to sit on,
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Superb sign writing little film.... Empty Re: Superb sign writing little film....

Post by Gypsy Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 9:25

That was really interesting, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.  thanks for sharing.
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 12:16

i enjoyed as well.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 12:59

Bit like Mcqueen on this one, would stand for hours watching the sign-writer do our trucks, he was an old self employed guy, well past retiring age, brilliant sign-writer but had a problem with phone numbers, never got the same number on either side of the vehicle, sometime neither were right, if you caught his error in time he could wipe the wet paint off, but if it dried this resulted in parts of the truck having to be resprayed, expensive, he initially thought I was admiring his work, which I did, but then realized I was big brother, so he would then tell me to fu#k off, I would then discreetly walk past the job on a regular basis keeping an eye on him, he soon sussed this, but appreciated when I pointed out an error due to the grief it caused. He had done the companies trucks for years and did not therefore chalk out all the details, with the phone numbers he would chalk a top and bottom line, mark off on these lines with small ticks where each digit should go then just paint the phone numbers in freehand, this is where it would go wrong...
    Fu#k knows how many business he was responsible for going bust as no one ever phoned them...
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 16:58

Great that, I love all that old-timey stuff! Superb sign writing little film.... 3318427985 
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 17:34

Well if somebody dosent start training the youth of today in all things like that it will be lost forever,
    Same with old cars, people love seeing them about just like in heart beat, but nobody is teaching kids about how they work and how to look after them, Everybody i know with a garage will not take kids on, too much health and safety etc, Lexie said to me i need a new bike grandy ? "What you havent had that long" "Tyre burst " she said, So i showed her how to fix a puncture,
    New bike my arse Superb sign writing little film.... 1498946960 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 4:42