Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+2
3rdforum
Gypsy
6 posters

The most iconic car ever

Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

The most iconic car ever Empty The most iconic car ever

Post by Gypsy Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 11:44

E-Type Jag roars past Mini and Porsche 911 as the world's greatest car: Eight cars in the top ten are British including Rolls Royces and Aston Martins  Read More
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

The most iconic car ever Empty Re: The most iconic car ever

Post by 3rdforum Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 12:33

cant believe the Ferrari Daytona wasnt in the top ten. Not as nice as the E type granted, but similar lines

The most iconic car ever Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPnQwbbRRYCYxIO43-UnauvMyAjTPgOPqOodfXT5dIHSfSxQM4
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 13:59

As you all know cars feature big in my life, Its all i know about The most iconic car ever 755705644
    They give me a good living and lots of pleasure,
    The E Type Jaguar is the most beautiful car ever, I've had 6 at least, but they are made in England and that means they are unreliable, rust like an old tin, and drink petrol like its for nothing,
    Same with the Mini, except the fuel part, I worked for a British Leyland Garage in the 70's.
    and my whole day was spent putting things right that should never have happened
    Now German cars are the opposite, the actual metal they use is for superior, they go on forever too,
    Moving on to cars of today, well every one of them is fit for purpose, brilliant things that do 20'000 miles without having to check them, so big step forward in the reliability stakes,
    My top 10 for looks,
    E type
    Mercedes Pagoda,230-250-280Sl
    Old type Mini
    old type Beetle
    Jaguar mk11
    MG T series
    Mustang - McQueen fast back shape
    Dodge Charger,
    Fiat 500 new and old
    VW type 2 camper van,

I may change my mind tomorro, Transport Transport
    Daryn
    Daryn

UK Male Posts : 656

Post by Daryn Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 14:25

A mate of mine and his son love the old minis, they have lots of them in a lock up, Ive got photos on our forum somewhere Ill find them and put them on here.

So Reg you say you made a good living out of cars did you buy and sell or was it just the mechanical side of things you done.

Me and a mate considered going down the auction route and buying and selling, bought a few cars from auctions now and touch would never bought a pig, used them all for taxi's.

A good friend of mine and fellow taxi driver had a skoda Octavia, the one with the best engine the 1.9TDI, he done over 400k before it packed in, he was going to get it repaired but the body work was crap lol.

Infact after seeing how good his engine was I bought a A6 with the same 1.9TDI engine, its brilliant.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 16:07

Fastest I've ever gone was 150mph, first time was in a V12 e-type, car came in with ignigition failure, this was a common fault with the Lucas OPUS (Oscillating Pick Up System) ignition system fitted to the jaguar V12 engine, it was an easy fix, replace the pick-up and amplifier then time up the ignition, about a half hour job, no real need to road test the car,,, mmmm, its a V12 e-type, Cam will know the road well I chose as my test route, garage I worked in was based at the Gyle, so down to the Barnton then out to the Forth Bridge, it's dual carriageway, out of the forty limit at the Cramond Brig Hotel, foot down, on the downhill stretch down to the Admirals Flyover got it up to 130, had to slow to 120 to take the left hand bend, car was all over the place, took up both lanes to get round the corner, then foot down again, about a three mile straight, got it up to 150,,, but the handling was shit, was all over the place and noisy...

Couple of weeks later I got the same job on a Daimler Double Six, basically a Jaguar XJ6 saloon with the V12 engine fitted, took in on the same road test, hit the same speed on the same parts of the road, the only difference, you wouldn't have thought you were even doing 70, handled perfect, no noise, bliss,,, but who wants a tank...

Bet both owners would have been glad to know their cars were thoroughly tested.........

The most iconic car ever 2761542443
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 16:38

Fastest car I ever drove was an XJ12 too, think I only got 130ish out of it, mind you it was raining at the time so I may have bottled it, or seen the fuel gauge twitching...  The most iconic car ever 3025408739
    Mind you I regularly go that fast now, coming in to land at East Midlands Airport. They twitch a bit if you're sitting at the back too.  The most iconic car ever 2419626307
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 16:49

Daryn wrote:A mate of mine and his son love the old minis, they have lots of them in a lock up, Ive got photos on our forum somewhere Ill find them and put them on here.

So Reg you say you made a good living out of cars did you buy and sell or was it just the mechanical side of things you done.

Me and a mate considered going down the auction route and buying and selling, bought a few cars from auctions now and touch would never bought a pig, used them all for taxi's.

A good friend of mine and fellow taxi driver had a skoda Octavia, the one with the best engine the 1.9TDI, he done over 400k before it packed in, he was going to get it repaired but the body work was crap lol.

Infact after seeing how good his engine was I bought a A6 with the same 1.9TDI engine, its brilliant.
    I think your heart must be in it and treat people fairly, People love to deal with a happy process, any complaints and i offer money back without them asking, makes them want to deal with you, I have never needed to advertise, I have a steady stream of victims,
    You cant really just buy and sell, you must know the product and how things work,
    If your a mechanic the cars will come your way without trying too hard,
    I know rogues that are just out to fleece people, 2 years later when the word gets round they end up carpet cleaning,
    Its like if your a taxi driver and you are polite and helpfull you will get a tip.
    If your a grumpy sod you get bugger all, Who would you rather deal with ??
    I bin grumpy customers, go somewhere else, cant do with people like that,
    one chirp and its Halfords for you The most iconic car ever 3607570916

(I run a VW passat, last of the old model with the 1.9 tdi, 130 bhp) Bullet proof Transport
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 29 Aug 2014 - 17:07

Yeah, the PD engine wont run on kerosene.  The most iconic car ever 3025408739  Patsy has the same engine as yours in her Octavia.  good 
    Forgot to mention favourite cars, when I was a teenager I wanted a Frogeye Sprite but the £200 needed never appeared in my wallet.  The most iconic car ever 3913804730  I doubt I would fit in one now so the moments gone. Think top of my list would come the Citroen DS19. Never had one but did have a couple of the later model, Citroen CX. Like riding on a cushion of air in an armchair. Now I'm not too fussed, if it goes when you turn the key I'm a happy bunny.  Transport

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 23:21