Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+4
Mcqueen
3rdforum
Blyth Spirit
Campbell Brodie
8 posters

Black and Tans.

Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Black and Tans. Empty Black and Tans.

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 20:32

Nike have shot themselves in the foot by releasing a new trainer called "Black and Tans" just in time for St. Patrick's Day. They thought the phrase referred to the drink of guinness and beer and didn't realise there were other reasons for the name..nice trainers though...
    Daily Mail
    Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Black and Tans. Empty Re: Black and Tans.

Post by Blyth Spirit Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:03

Black and Tans. 755705644

A Black & Tan drink in our parts is Guinness & Cider. Black and Tans. 1460810463
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:38

a black and tan here is half guinness and half Smithwicks ( Kilkenny beer).

Someone in Nike is going to get sacked though
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:40

Not if their ethnic Black and Tans. 1498946960
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:50

There was a story about my grandfather smuggling guns in a cartload of hay in 1921. He had 3 rifles hidden at the bottom. The Black and Tans stopped him and searched the hay. They found a crate of whiskey which was hidden in the middle. The soldiers took the whiskey for themselves, gave my grandfather a few digs and sent him on his way, with the guns still under the hay.
    The following week, another fighter was stopped and they found some ammunition on him. He was shot on the spot and his body thrown into the ditch. My grandad was so lucky.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:55

3rdforum wrote:There was a story about my grandfather smuggling guns in a cartload of hay in 1921. He had 3 rifles hidden at the bottom. The Black and Tans stopped him and searched the hay. They found a crate of whiskey which was hidden in the middle. The soldiers took the whiskey for themselves, gave my grandfather a few digs and sent him on his way, with the guns still under the hay.
    The following week, another fighter was stopped and they found some ammunition on him. He was shot on the spot and his body thrown into the ditch. My grandad was so lucky.

What a great story you can tell your children and grand-children! Do your young 'uns know who Michael Collins or De Valera was yet?
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 21:58

Shampoos arnt they Black and Tans. 3275847336
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:00

Mcqueen wrote:Shampoos arnt they Black and Tans. 3275847336

Why is it called SHAM poo and not REAL poo?
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:02

Dunno, I never use it, Bar of soap rubbed on head for me, Probably why its a bit thin on top,
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:11

They know what I've told them Cam but they haven't learned about it in school yet. Did you see the film "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson starring? Neil Jordan, as director, actually stuck pretty close to the truth. Up until my generation started voting, politics here were still divided by the Collins/De Valera divide, for some 70 years after the civil war.
    Long story short, DeValera ( self proclaimed prime minister of a free Ireland) sent Collins to negotiate a treaty with Llyod George ( British PM). DeValera knew Collins wouldn't get a free united Ireland and it so happened that Collins signed the treaty that has efectively divided Ireland ever since. He said it was the best he could do without restarting the War of Independence all over again. Devalera called him a traitor ( knowing full well what this would lead to) and withdrew his party from parliament. Civil War followed and Collins was ambushed and killed in a place called Beal na Blath. Collins on signing the treaty in London said "I have just signed my own death warrant". How prophetic.
    Incidently, DeValera is reputed to have said some years later
    "History will show the greatness of Michael Collins and I fear it will be at my expense"

P.S. Sorry about rattling on again! Black and Tans. 1293740352

Last edited by 3rdforum on Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:27; edited 1 time in total
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:16

Nice story D, So you listened at school ?, I was day dreaming looking out of the window,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:21

3rdforum wrote:They know what I've told them Cam but they haven't learned about it in school yet. Did you see the film "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson starring? Neil Jordan, as director, actually stuck pretty close to the truth. Up until my generation started voting, politics here were still divided by the Collins/De Valera divide, for some 70 years after the civil war.
    Long story short, DeValera ( self proclaimed prime minister of a free Ireland) sent Collins to negotiate a treaty with Llyod George ( British PM). DeValera knew Collins wouldn't get a free united Ireland and it so happened that Collins signed the treaty that has efectively divided Ireland ever since. He said it was the best he could do without restarting the War of Independence all over again. Devalera called him a traitor ( knowing full well what this would lead to) and withdrew his party from parliament. Civil War followed and Collins was ambushed and killed in a place called Beal na Blath and killed. Collins on signing the treaty in London said "I have just signed my own death warrant". How prophetic.
    "History will show the greatness to Michael Collins and I fear it will be at my expense"

History of one's country is never wasted time...
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:26

Mcqueen wrote:Nice story D, So you listened at school ?, I was day dreaming looking out of the window,

The only subject in school I liked Reg. Don't know why but history to me was like reading a novel. We had a pirate Queen ( Grace O'Malley) that when her sons were captured by Crown forces, she had the balls to sail her ships up the Thames to Greenwich and managed to impress Elizabeth I so much that she granted her and her family a pardon. I'm reading about Gallipoli at the moment and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers landing in Hells Cape ( appropiate name ) and as the song goes" were butchered like lambs to the slaughter".
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:32

Yes you need to be interested to take it in, My school was the place of nightmares, Absolute shocking, They wouldnt get away with it these days, I didnt go much the last year, Only for the trips, climbing,canoeing stuff like that, The teachers got that pissed i had to drive the mini bus, 14 years old, Black and Tans. 1498946960 , Couldnt wait to get away, (Alive) Nobody noticed, Bad memories,
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:34

My mum was ateacher and my grandad ( the guy smuggling guns) was a headmaster
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 22:59

Good story D, try get some on the plane the same way.
    cunningham
    cunningham

Wales Male Posts : 3211

Post by cunningham Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 23:04

The Lone Ranger wrote:Nike have shot themselves in the foot by releasing a new trainer called "Black and Tans" just in time for St. Patrick's Day. They thought the phrase referred to the drink of guinness and beer and didn't realise there were other reasons for the name..nice trainers though...
    Daily Mail
    nike , are they chinks?
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 0:12

cunningham wrote: nike , are they chinks?

No thicko Yanks
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 9:45

Just looking at the comments underneath the story in the link. There seems to be a lot of people out there who want to "spin" this in a negative way. Little England is alive and kicking???
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 9:58

3rdforum wrote:Just looking at the comments underneath the story in the link. There seems to be a lot of people out there who want to "spin" this in a negative way. Little England is alive and kicking???

Morning D, Yeh i read those, And to people that havent come across all that, Like me, It just sounds like another forum, Bitch bitch bitch, Move on, Yesterdays news, It would help if we set a date to wake up and have our memories arased, Imagine that, Morning gupta, Do you want a hand with that Black and Tans. 3025408739,
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Post by CaribeCelt Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 18:58

3rdforum wrote:They know what I've told them Cam but they haven't learned about it in school yet. Did you see the film "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson starring? Neil Jordan, as director, actually stuck pretty close to the truth. Up until my generation started voting, politics here were still divided by the Collins/De Valera divide, for some 70 years after the civil war.
    Long story short, DeValera ( self proclaimed prime minister of a free Ireland) sent Collins to negotiate a treaty with Llyod George ( British PM). DeValera knew Collins wouldn't get a free united Ireland and it so happened that Collins signed the treaty that has efectively divided Ireland ever since. He said it was the best he could do without restarting the War of Independence all over again. Devalera called him a traitor ( knowing full well what this would lead to) and withdrew his party from parliament. Civil War followed and Collins was ambushed and killed in a place called Beal na Blath. Collins on signing the treaty in London said "I have just signed my own death warrant". How prophetic.
    "History will show the greatness of Michael Collins and I fear it will be at my expense"

True to an extent.
    But De Valera never even got to see the treaty proposals which Collins and the rest of the treaty delegation signed...surely the president of the Dail should have got to see these.
    In my opinion Michael Collins head was turned by Arthur Griffith,Sinn Fein Founder, who was never a Republican but who had campaigned all his days for a free state under British rule...I find the whole treaty saga intriguing.
    Also my grandmother had an uncle shot by the tan's but he thankfully survived.
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Post by CaribeCelt Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 19:15

Also regarding the Collins/De Valera divide in politics I think it is still with us in some areas.
    I was in a pub in Dublin in the run up to the last elections and I was standing outside having a smoke and a Fine Gael gang came down the street and one of the locals flicked his fag onto the ground and said: for jaysus sake heres the f..king Blueshirts.Black and Tans. 3025408739
    Up here in the North Collins and De Valera are despised by Republican and Unionists alikeBlack and Tans. 3025408739
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 19:27

Well I don´t think any country that wants to stand alone should be stopped as long as they don´t expect anyone to help them out if they suddenly find they can´t cope.

Give Spain Gibraltar, Argentina the Falklands, Eire can have N Ireland, Scotland and Wales can all be self ruling. Sorted weather
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 19:30

Yeh, And England will be quids in, Black and Tans. 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 19:45

Gypsy wrote:Well I don´t think any country that wants to stand alone should be stopped as long as they don´t expect anyone to help them out if they suddenly find they can´t cope.

Give Spain Gibraltar, Argentina the Falklands, Eire can have N Ireland, Scotland and Wales can all be self ruling. Sorted Black and Tans. 4226408756

We want Nova Scotia and the New Hebrides or we're going nowhere! Nearly forgot New Caledonia and Perth in ozzy land!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 7:58