Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+5
Mischief Maker
Campbell Brodie
Gypsy
Mermaid
Cruella de Vil
9 posters

What do you consider "real chips?"

Cruella de Vil
    Cruella de Vil

Spain Female Posts : 3067

What do you consider "real chips?" Empty What do you consider "real chips?"

Post by Cruella de Vil Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 20:10

My OH considers "real chips" to be soggy sort of things, however I prefer them crispy, lightly fried quickly in hot oil.

What do you all say? What do you consider "real chips?" 1695130124
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

What do you consider "real chips?" Empty Re: What do you consider "real chips?"

Post by Mermaid Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 20:13

I am the same as you Cru,crispy chips and not greasy.
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 20:21

The only decent chips are made from a proper spud, not that reconstituted stuff they use in McD's. They should be chunky, soaked in water first to get rid of the starch, part cooked so they are cooked but not brown, then cooked again until brown and crispy on the outside and soft but not soggy or greasy inside.

Shame we rarely have them as I dont own a chip pan and make do with oven chips.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 20:28

Gypsy wrote:The only decent chips are made from a proper spud, not that reconstituted stuff they use in McD's. They should be chunky, soaked in water first to get rid of the starch, part cooked so they are cooked but not brown, then cooked again until brown and crispy on the outside and soft but not soggy or greasy inside.

I agree, real chips were made from hand-peeled spuds and made in a chip pan. What do you consider "real chips?" 2055040530
    Mischief Maker
    Mischief Maker

Scotland Female Posts : 896

Post by Mischief Maker Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 21:26

i switched to oven chips a few years ago but got a deep fat fryer as a 'treat'
    all i could taste was the oil and not used it since!
    oven chips for me no grease
    cunningham
    cunningham

Wales Male Posts : 3211

Post by cunningham Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 21:34

Gypsy wrote:The only decent chips are made from a proper spud, not that reconstituted stuff they use in McD's. They should be chunky, soaked in water first to get rid of the starch, part cooked so they are cooked but not brown, then cooked again until brown and crispy on the outside and soft but not soggy or greasy inside.

i am not surprised with the price of spuds over there, What do you consider "real chips?" 1498946960
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 22:05

cunningham wrote:
    i am not surprised with the price of spuds over there, What do you consider "real chips?" 1498946960

Why are the more expensive than in the UK?????
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 22:09

Saw King Edwards over there, origin UK. I'll have mine crispy please.
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 22:54

Real Chips, par boil until about 1/5 in depth is a different colour. Then bake in the oven for around 15 mins, then deep fry in oil at 325 deg....
    cunningham
    cunningham

Post by cunningham Mon 5 Sep 2011 - 23:07

Gypsy wrote:

Why are the more expensive than in the UK?????
    yes very much so, especially as i grow my own.
    Cruella de Vil
    Cruella de Vil

Spain Female Posts : 3067

Post by Cruella de Vil Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 6:56

Topdog wrote:Real Chips, par boil until about 1/5 in depth is a different colour. Then bake in the oven for around 15 mins, then deep fry in oil at 325 deg....

That's three lots of washing up What do you consider "real chips?" 3707059870
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 8:49

Topdog wrote:Real Chips, par boil until about 1/5 in depth is a different colour. Then bake in the oven for around 15 mins, then deep fry in oil at 325 deg....

What a long way to make chips. :Not me Guv:
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 9:54

Cruella de Vil wrote:

Mermaid wrote:

What a long way to make chips. What do you consider "real chips?" 3707059870

Sod that for a game of soldiers - typical man
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 13:48

Cruella de Vil wrote:

Mermaid wrote:

I don't make them like that, but some top chef's do.
    innit
    innit

Post by innit Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 18:20

Topdog wrote:
    Cruella de Vil wrote:

Mermaid wrote:

I don't make them like that, but some top chef's do.

Yeah, but do they taste better than those out of the newspaper after a few pints I doubt it.

Should think they would sell at about £10 a portion just because the bloke wrote some book with fancy phots in it.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 18:45

10 pints, light weight.....
    cunningham
    cunningham

Post by cunningham Tue 6 Sep 2011 - 19:05

Topdog wrote:10 pints, light weight.....
    is it that time already? off to club with fatha , catch you all laterWhat do you consider "real chips?" 2501716212

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 15:44