Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

4 posters

car question.

Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

car question. Empty car question.

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 9:23

Reg, any idea what the wires from the roll cage to the wings are for?
    car question. 18987310
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

car question. Empty Re: car question.

Post by Mcqueen Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 10:14

car question. 878948377 Well on the other side is a big aerial, Now a lot of panels on the land rover are Alloy,
    So i would guess earthing because the roll bar is steel and so is the chassis,
    Other than that Feck knows car question. 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 10:28

That sounds feasible! car question. 294053457
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 10:31

Oooh! Update from Facebook..." they are called brush wires, to deflect tree branches etc .away from the windscreen ". Of course, that could be blox as well! car question. 3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 10:48

Looking at that Land Rover and how clean it is the only time that go's off road is like the grass verge where it is now car question. 1498946960
    Bit like blokes that wear camouflage. Nutters etc, Imagine down the shopping centre and jumping behind a bush car question. 3095951175 That Land Rover weighs about 3 ton now with all the crap on it, so first bit of mud the kent will sink, So then the winch comes out and no tree to fasten it to down the shopping centre.
    I used to prepare expedition Land Rovers for Leeds University, very rare they made it past Dover,
    Bush wires my arse,
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:22

The Lone Ranger wrote:Reg, any idea what the wires from the roll cage to the wings are for?
    car question. 18987310
    They hold the front bit onto the middle bit car question. 1483819851
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:50

Speaking of them kents dressed in camouflage, once started a climb up Coniston old man, no big deal but this twat had the map round his neck and enough food and drink for an army, so we set off and he starts heading away from the mountain car question. 3095951175 So i pipes up Err its over there, Not according to this he said, I let him wonder off and i did the obvious, bit later on he come staggering over and said he was reading it upside down, He was the sort who would be put in charge if he was in the army, Knob,
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:20

Have done two chassis changes on Land Rovers both due to accident damage not rust, first one was an army one, it was a communication vehicle, back of it was stuffed full of radio gear, it had two alternators on the engine, neither of them normal, all the "normal" electrics on it were earth return wired back to the battery negative terminal, plus the second alternator was twice the size of a normal alternator, it was for all the radio gear, feckin nightmare of a job...

Also fitted a winch to one, brutal bit of kit, had a dog clutch on it direct to the front engine pully, to operate the winch you engaged the clutch with the engine stopped, then when you started the engine the winch turned, after fitting it I obviously had to test it, drew the Land Rover up to about six feet from one of the metal girders holding up the garage roof, wrapped the wire rope around the girder, engaged the winch and then lent through the window to start the engine, engine started I moved back to the front of the vehicle to watch the winch wind in the slack rope, slack taken up the Land Rover started to get dragged nearer to the girder, with a couple of feet to go I make to disengage the clutch, the lever was on the front bumper next to the winch, no way was it disengaging with the load on it,,, panic, quick dash to the window and fumble to switch off the ignition before the feckin thing climbed up the girder...

Another odd attachment I fitted to the same Land Rover was a PTO (power take off) and a fantoosh tow bracket, this allowed the owner (a farmer) to use it like a tractor, it could be hooked up to farm machinery and the PTO powered it just like a tractor, if you look at the back of a Land Rover there's a big six inch hole in the chassis rear crossmember and all other  crossmembers up to the rear of the gearbox, that's where an auxiliary prop-shaft ran to drive the farm machinery...

Informative forum this... car question. 1483819851

Last edited by Adam Mint on Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:25; edited 1 time in total
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:22

What he said! car question. 3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 14:09

Austin Champ - 2 speed dynamo, low revs it changed up a gear, high revs it changed down,
    Water proof too car question. 1483819851 , That had a snorkel like that Land Rover also,
    Over engineered British heavy weight which never saw any real action, Clever tho

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024 - 20:31