Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

3 posters

Computers tits up again...

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Computers tits up again... Empty Computers tits up again...

Post by Adam Mint Mon 11 Apr 2016 - 21:20

Two questions...

Computer (laptop) went tits up again a couple days before we went on holiday, had just paid a hundred and thirty odd quid at PC World about a month earlier getting it fixed but it's not the same fault, just won't boot up, get the Tobisha screen then just comes to a stop,,, so took it to back to PC World, they think it's the hard drive but want £50 to send it away to find out exactly what's wrong, I said I'll think about it...
    Have spoke to mates who are in to computers and they think it's the hard drive aswell, had a look on Internet they range from thirty five quid to hundreds, still need to identify the correct one, if it's it's cheap I'll give it a go, but if it's dear or don't work any advice on what to go for, just looking for something cheap, all my data is on a memory stick, computer runs on Windows 7 and I need words and excel... 

Next question, I'm using IPad at the moment but want to do a box chart that I can update daily, not an excel spreadsheet just a box chart, can I do that on the iPad...
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Computers tits up again... Empty Re: Computers tits up again...

Post by Mcqueen Mon 11 Apr 2016 - 21:58

Yes
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Mon 11 Apr 2016 - 22:15

Ok, that was helpful, now Computers tits up again... 3417148095...
    BobMac
    BobMac

Scotland Male Posts : 517

Post by BobMac Tue 12 Apr 2016 - 11:46

Hard Disk - they are 2.5" drives in laptops, anything that size should fit.

Box Chart - what software do you use at the moment?  There are various online packages which can be used for free, including Excel.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Tue 12 Apr 2016 - 12:18

Thanks, I'll identify the hard disc and ask again as what to go for, didn't know you could just pick and chose anyone, thought it would have had to be a like for like replacement,,, another question, laptop came with Windows 7 pre installed, will that still be there or is it on the memory stick thing that PC World downloaded all my data on to when they done last repair...

On the box chart thing, I have never used the iPad for anything other than "entertainment" so have never tried to do box-charts, spreadsheets etc on it,,, there is a "Notes" thing on it which I have used to write letters on pre e-mailing them but that's the most technical thing I've ever done on it as I used the computer for everything else...

You can tell I'm really up on these computer things,,, I did have a look on the Internet at how to change the hard drive, I even took it out and gave it a bit of a slap around before refitting it but it made no difference...

Computers tits up again... 206331103 Computers tits up again... 206331103 Computers tits up again... 206331103
    BobMac
    BobMac

Scotland Male Posts : 517

Post by BobMac Tue 12 Apr 2016 - 12:39

If you look at the current hard drive is, it will tell you on the label what make and model it is and what it's capacity is.

Use that info, have a look online for similar capacity 2.5" drives or pop into PCW or Maplins with the actual disk and they will be able to supply you with a new compatible disk.

With the memory stick, it depends how PCW did the backup.  If they did a full backup, it should be there, if they only backed up your data, it won't be there.  When you bought the laptop, did it come with CD/DVD media or was it a case of you having to produce your own software backup disks by running a preloaded utility when you had set the laptop up how you wanted it ??

To use Office on the IPAD for free have a look at this article - Office on the iPad
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Tue 12 Apr 2016 - 12:52

I ain't looked at the memory stick to see what they put on it as had no need to, so don't know if it's there, will try and find out via use of a friends computer...

Cannot recall if any discs came with the laptop, laptop has a sticker on it saying "Windows 7 Installed"

Will have a look at that "Office on a iPad" thing...

Thanks again...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 20:26