Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

4 posters

How do reg plates work in the UK?

3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

How do reg plates work in the UK? Empty How do reg plates work in the UK?

Post by 3rdforum Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 19:27

looking at reg's mate's garage got me thinking. How do registration plates work. I think the first letter tells you what year it was when the car was first registered by whats all the other lettering and numbering for?
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

How do reg plates work in the UK? Empty Re: How do reg plates work in the UK?

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 19:36

3rdforum wrote:looking at reg's mate's garage got me thinking. How do registration plates work. I think the first letter tells you what year it was when the car was first registered by whats all the other lettering and numbering for?

Here's an informative site that explains it brilliantly...
    UK Number plates
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 19:44

Thanks Cam, its seems a little complicated to me. Over here, a car is assigned a number denoting the year, letters denoting a county e.g. Galway would be G, Dublin = D etc and finally a number assigned in ascending order .
    My van is 97 G 5897 which means its a 1997, from Galway and was the 5897th vehicle to be registered there that year.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:10

3rdforum wrote:Thanks Cam, its seems a little complicated to me. Over here, a car is assigned a number denoting the year, letters denoting a county e.g. Galway would be G, Dublin = D etc and finally a number assigned in ascending order .
    My van is 97 G 5897 which means its a 1997, from Galway and was the 5897th vehicle to be registered there that year.

That is a sensible approach in Ireland as it only has a small poulation. Can you imagine using that system in London? An example would be:

10 L 100567 or even bigger! How do reg plates work in the UK? 1695130124 My reg is SP 52 XXX which means it was first registered in Dundee in September 2002. The last 3 letters are the "Random" unique identifying numbers.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 21:31; edited 2 times in total
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:12

The Lone Ranger wrote:
    3rdforum wrote:Thanks Cam, its seems a little complicated to me. Over here, a car is assigned a number denoting the year, letters denoting a county e.g. Galway would be G, Dublin = D etc and finally a number assigned in ascending order .

That is a sensible approach in Ireland as it only has a small poulation. Can you imagine using that system in London? An example would be:

10 L 100567 or even bigger! How do reg plates work in the UK? 1695130124

Never thought of that. No wonder you're admin!!
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:35

gu61 mine.
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:39

It should be like the USA, Pick one and keep it; Or swop it for another later on, But then the the DVLA wouldnt make thousands selling them, Goverment thieves again, Then theirs the keeping up with the jones's, New car every year,
    When i picked my car up at vallet parking this mornring, Young lad turns up in my 92 J reg toyota carina, i was smiling Most were Range Rover sports etc, But no, He jumps out praising it for starting after 3 weeks, Nowt but trouble these new cars, Yours is a great car, i told him i payed £50 for it 3 years ago, And havent touched it since, Wow, Only trouble with it you have to talk to the ethnics in petrol stations, Carina innit good car innit you want to sell our kid will buy it, innit, Feck right off, Young lad was laughing his head off, Janet said why do they like them ?, Carina innit. Much cheapness,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:43

Topdog wrote:gu61 mine.

Only 4 months old from Brighton!
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 20:46

The lone Hercule Poirot strikes again!! (Where's the Sherlock Holmes smiley?)
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 21:07

The Lone Ranger wrote:

Only 4 months old from Brighton!
    You don't get many new borns in Brighton How do reg plates work in the UK? 3025408739
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 21:08

Topdog wrote: You don't get many new Borns in Brighton How do reg plates work in the UK? 3025408739
    ????? How do reg plates work in the UK? 1695130124 How do reg plates work in the UK? 1695130124

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Sep 2024 - 21:30