Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+9
Vera Lynn
CaribeCelt
Mcqueen
Campbell Brodie
Blyth Spirit
Perfectspecimen
Gypsy
Topdog
3rdforum
13 posters

Do you speak/will you learn Spanish?

3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? Empty Do you speak/will you learn Spanish?

Post by 3rdforum Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:00

For those of you that live on the island, do you speak Spanish? If not, why not? Those of you that will become swallows or are regular visitors, will you learn the lingo?

I always try to speak Spanish but end up playing charades with the locals ( they end up pissing themselves at me)
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? Empty Re: Do you speak/will you learn Spanish?

Post by Topdog Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:05

A little, but will learn before I go to swallow. Usually pick up lingo quite quick. Can get by in Turkey and a good amount of French.
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? Empty Re: Do you speak/will you learn Spanish?

Post by Gypsy Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:13

I am totally ashamed to say NO I don´t speak Spanish. I have lots of words that I just can´t join together in sentences. I have tried umpteen times and every time I learn a new word I forget an old one. I am convinced it is an age thing. Although even when I was a kid I was useless at languages. Thankfully my grand daughter is really good at both Spanish and German. I do try and speak to people in Spanglish but they invariable speak better English than I do Spanish.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:15

Topdog wrote:A little, but will learn before I go to swallow. Usually pick up lingo quite quick. Can get by in Turkey and a good amount of French.

Que? Gilipollez!
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:35

Sorry Manuel......you tell me what idiot, i no sure signor.
    Blyth Spirit
    Blyth Spirit

England Male Posts : 1239

Post by Blyth Spirit Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:38

Doz Cervaza por va vor senior ! Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 2761542443

Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:39

Happy hour then.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:48

I know a few words but like Gypsy I don't know how to form a recognisable sentence with them. Blox, as long as I can order food and drink, who cares... Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 1047458289
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:50

12 beers then, thats the spirit.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:52

Un jarra de San Miguel por favor.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:56

The Spanish always have it in the small glasses dont they, and always leave half an inch in the bottom.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:57

Thats right Vince. Imagine wasting all that beer at the bottom????
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 17 May 2012 - 21:59

Perfectspecimen wrote:The Spanish always have it in the small glasses dont they, and always leave half an inch in the bottom.

...think it's called a caña. Gypsy says that's what her wee dog's called...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Thu 17 May 2012 - 22:00

Half pint dog.Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 3025408739 Mine will be a short then.
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Thu 17 May 2012 - 22:27

EL Fluent,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Thu 17 May 2012 - 22:28

Mcqueen wrote:EL Fluent,

That's what goes down the sewers innit...
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Ireland Male Posts : 1045

Post by CaribeCelt Thu 17 May 2012 - 22:35

I have been doing a bit and know the basics,can get by speaking it.
    But on Rosetta Stone I get fed up doing it on my own,I need a bit of a push.
    Have put name down for classes in the Tech so when it restarts after summer I'll give it a go.
    Vera Lynn
    Vera Lynn

UK Female Posts : 170

Post by Vera Lynn Thu 17 May 2012 - 23:33

I can speak spanish but not canarian!!! all my grandchildren are fluent and they laugh at me when i talk as they say i say things funny but thats how ive been taught. It is best to pick it up from the natives as your understood better. But i do to try really hard to use spanish every day and i think gypsy has got it right it is defo and age thing that makes it harder.
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Thu 17 May 2012 - 23:41

Vera Lynn wrote:I can speak spanish but not canarian!!! all my grandchildren are fluent and they laugh at me when i talk as they say i say things funny but thats how ive been taught. It is best to pick it up from the natives as your understood better. But i do to try really hard to use spanish every day and i think gypsy has got it right it is defo and age thing that makes it harder.

Is there a big difference between the two VL?
    Is it the pronunciation or what?
    Give a few examples please.
    Vera Lynn
    Vera Lynn

UK Female Posts : 170

Post by Vera Lynn Thu 17 May 2012 - 23:50

Well one thing is they speak really fast here and hardly ever finish their words off especially the s's on the end of words. When i took my grandsons over to the penisular the spanish knew they were from tenerife by thier accents.Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 3275847336
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Thu 17 May 2012 - 23:55

I don't want to confuse myself even more.Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 3025408739
    I'll get over the Canarian hurdle when I learn Castillian.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Fri 18 May 2012 - 9:11

They say "gracias" normally in Spain but in the Canaries they say "Grassy Ass"
    CaribeCelt
    CaribeCelt

Post by CaribeCelt Fri 18 May 2012 - 9:32

Dermo you Cabron!
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Fri 18 May 2012 - 10:04

CaribeCelt wrote:

We also use different words, like guagua instead of autobus, or leche leche instead of cafe bonbon. I tried using caña on the mainland and they looked at me as if I was mad, think they use that for someone going grey !! So very confusing.

For now hasta luego! Hi or as they say here h'luego! Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 3275847336
    cunningham
    cunningham

Wales Male Posts : 3211

Post by cunningham Fri 18 May 2012 - 10:19

Gypsy wrote:
    CaribeCelt wrote:

We also use different words, like guagua instead of autobus, or leche leche instead of cafe bonbon. I tried using caña on the mainland and they looked at me as if I was mad, think they use that for someone going grey !! So very confusing.

For now hasta luego! Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 1293356558 or as they say here h'luego! Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 3275847336
    i find the most useful phrase is, no tengo denero, espesialy to get shut of the bloody lookie lookie men the pr's and the fecking beggers.Do you speak/will you learn Spanish? 16779677

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2024 - 0:19