Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+8
Jimandsi
BobMac
Mcqueen
Adam Mint
Topdog
Perfectspecimen
Campbell Brodie
Gypsy
12 posters

Illegal lettings

Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Illegal lettings Empty Illegal lettings

Post by Gypsy Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 18:40

I know we said we would never talk about it but ........... there has always been speculation that around 7000 people have been fine for illegally renting their properties. Todays Europa Press has given the figures and they are

The Canary Islands government raised last year (2011) 2600 cases against illegal tourist establishments in the Islands, a figure to which we must add between 1,300 and 1,500 new cases from the first half of 2012 and another 600 are still being processed. Here

If I do my sums correctly that is between 4500 and 4700 which if you consider it is ALL the islands some have got off pretty lightly.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Illegal lettings Empty Re: Illegal lettings

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 18:59

Yeah, well ASHOTEL has a point really. All these years, me included, renting privately by thousands of tourists. Lot of money to lose...
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 19:10

Jorge Marichal, (President Ashotel) lives on our complex - well he would wouldn´t he his dad built it!!

Nice guy but after promising to get repairs done, nothing happened, same old same old.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 19:33

Im surprised nobody has taken it up with Brussells, smacks of protectionism to me.
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 20:39

Post 11207..............is it still illegal weather
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 15:10

Bottom line, it’s a knock on from Tenerife’s letting laws...
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 15:57

The way things are going in the UK every apartment in Tenerife - Legal or not would be full very soon, Once all the Romainians and Bulgarians get over to the UK the place will be a complete cess pit, What will they contribute to ? nothing except the prison population, and prison will seem like paradise to what they did have,
    Illegal lettings 577704309 I would say God help us - but that isnt going to happen, bets anyone Illegal lettings 2472758156 I am entitled to rubbish Religion as much as they are to shove it in my face every 2 minutes, TV full of strange people in tall hats and bushy eyebrows, Feck right off out of my life you self righteous condecending pillocks, Illegal lettings 3417148095
    BobMac
    BobMac

Scotland Male Posts : 517

Post by BobMac Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 16:00

Perfectspecimen wrote:Im surprised nobody has taken it up with Brussels, smacks of protectionism to me.

Apparently it was challenged in the EU Courts and they ruled that the Canarian Government could enact laws like this at a local level to control vital assets.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 17:36

36/24/36
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 17:43

Mcqueen wrote:The way things are going in the UK every apartment in Tenerife - Legal or not would be full very soon, Once all the Romainians and Bulgarians get over to the UK the place will be a complete cess pit, What will they contribute to ? nothing except the prison population, and prison will seem like paradise to what they did have,
    Illegal lettings 577704309 I would say God help us - but that isnt going to happen, bets anyone Illegal lettings 2472758156 I am entitled to rubbish Religion as much as they are to shove it in my face every 2 minutes, TV full of strange people in tall hats and bushy eyebrows, Feck right off out of my life you self righteous condecending pillocks, Illegal lettings 3417148095

Are you having a bad day Reg?
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:39

Bad day ?, No far from it, had good news and been busy work wise so i cant complain.
    Illegal lettings 577704309But everywhere i go there is this vicar and that priest and this inman are saying this that and the other,
    So when ever i can i will run Religion down, why should it be one way, if they piss off i will shut up, Simple as that Illegal lettings 1483819851
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:43

Is it that John Inman? ...."I'm Free"! Illegal lettings 3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:44

The Lone Ranger wrote:Is it that John Inman? ...."I'm Free"! Illegal lettings 3025408739

Might aswell be Illegal lettings 1498946960
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 18:39

Update:-

More cases have now been heard, and the same verdict is being given for them all: these are, of course, just those where the evidence for the fine was based on internet inspection alone. The verdict is being given even where the ostensible reason for the fine is the lack of a complaints book and notice. I say “same verdict” rather than “same judgment” because the tone of the judgments has changed. They are now considerably stronger in our favour, and more critical of both the government, and the tourism law itself.

All the judgments so far have come from courts 2 and 4. We have cases in courts 1 and 3 also, and expect the first judgments from them before the end of this year, probably next month. Court 3, as I’ve said before, is the most pro-government of the four, and the only one of them all to insist that the fine money was lodged with the government itself, rather than the Courts. This means that when we get verdicts from court 3, it may take considerably longer to get the money back. Refunds from courts 1, 2 and 4 should be very rapid, and the first formal applications for refunds will be made next week. As I’ve also said before, we are confident of the verdicts now, and should by any chance a different ruling be given, this can be appealed as a “contradictory verdict”.

As I’ve said before as well, because the fines were less than €30,000, the courts had the power to prevent any further appeals, and they have done this. Because Turismo rejected the courts’ suggestion of a class action, however, we still have many more cases to steer individually through all four courts, and even with several a day being heard, it will be May 2014 before we expect to get judgments on them all. This should give a fair idea of quite how many fines were issued – illegally, as we now have it from both courts and Presidencia-Consejo Consultivo.

I had a meeting this morning with José Escobedo and Santiago Saenz in view of the above, and we agreed that since we now have multiple “sentencias firme” (final judgments), it is a good time to look to the future. Alotca was never formed simply to defend fines, but to be a lobbying association on behalf of owners affected by the legislation. Although I am president of Alotca for this year, it is an association with five founder members, and so I hope the following will be taken as reflections of this morning’s meeting and thinking aloud in writing, rather than as firm statements to which I, or we, will be held if future events are slightly different.

We think that the judges’ comments in the more recent appeal rulings are very strong, and that there is now a clear case, and perhaps even a mandate, to clarify, amend and redraft tourism legislation, at least as concerns private owners. One area we will be concerned with is tightening up and specifying the means and methods by which inspections may be made, not least because Turismo is now determined to go all out to carry out inspections that will be legally valid, and particularly to revisit those where first fines were imposed and rejected by the courts – they know that when they impose a further fine, it will be at the higher level of around €30,000 for a second offence. We also envisage seeking the legal right for private owners – of touristic properties and independent villas – to draw up private touristic contracts on their own behalf. We are not contemplating the abolition of the sole agent system, but rather allowing private owners to operate independently alongside them if they so wish.

This is the briefest of outlines of the way we’re thinking and we have commissioned an Alotca website, which we see as a bilingual and interactive resource to flesh this programme out much more fully. We see the website, though, as not just a static hub for information and updates, but also for members themselves to register and participate in the process we will be undertaking and heading. We are prepared to take this fight on, and take it to the government, and envisage carrying out this work ourselves: if necessary, we will redraft the whole law, something that is constitutionally permissible, and well within the capabilities of the two lawyers, with support from Maria, Paul and myself. This work, however, and the fight in general – and it will be a fight – will cost time and expense.

We don’t want to undertake it if people don’t have the stomach for it. I don’t think a single one of the five of us has personal interests in the matter, but if there is a widespread need, we will take it forward. Having said that, although we do not see Alotca as a personal profit-making enterprise, we think that it is not unfair that the time and expense that will inevitably be involved should be covered, and were considering something in the region of €50 a year. So, we would be grateful if readers could let us know whether they would like, and support, these proposals.

Even as I was typing the above, I received an email (now one of many) from someone who had been facing a nightmare and who can now “sleep well tonight”. We have achieved a solid and resounding victory for many ordinary people who had trustingly invested in these islands, but we want to do more, and try to ensure that they will now be able to enjoy their properties, in the majority of cases, as they originally envisaged. Please let us know whether you’re with us in this fight

Source: Janet Anscombe's blog (current President of ALOCTA)...
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 18:58

I don´t think that, as useful as it is, is applicable to any of our forum contributors but perhaps those who just read will find it interesting. So thanks for posting Mr Minty
    Jimandsi
    Jimandsi

England Male Posts : 1361

Post by Jimandsi Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:06

Shouldn't that read Janet ********* ?

Pffffft !

Illegal lettings 3025408739 Illegal lettings 3025408739 Illegal lettings 3025408739
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:14

Legal or illegal I will let you off there Jimbo. Illegal lettings 3025408739 
    Jimandsi
    Jimandsi

England Male Posts : 1361

Post by Jimandsi Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:23

I presume you're following it elsewhere ?

Fireworks soon methinks.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:24

Not following but have been kept informed, bring in the artillery
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:44

Gypsy wrote:I don´t think that, as useful as it is, is applicable to any of our forum contributors but perhaps those who just read will find it interesting.   So thanks for posting Mr Minty
    Au contraine, I am very interested in this subject...

Illegal lettings 1554180325
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:51

Jimandsi wrote:I presume you're following it elsewhere ?

Fireworks soon methinks.
    No, I have nothing to rent, don´t know anyone who has rented illegally or needs any friends or family, so don't see what is going on unless I should stumble across it on Facebook. We are boring on this forum so there is unlikely to be any discourse.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 19:56

Is finishes discourse what is de afters.
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 21:10

Angry2 Err, Tenerife Royal Gardens 1 bed ground floor apartment 1 week left this year, 27th December 2013 to the 3rd of January 2014, all legal and above board, Angry2  Illegal lettings 3025408739 
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 22:26

For feck sake, will somebody rent Reg's apartment! Illegal lettings 3025408739 Illegal lettings 3025408739 
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 22:33

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 7 May 2024 - 19:50