Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+6
Daryn
Gypsy
3rdforum
Mermaid
Topdog
oscarjohnboy
10 posters

Money Exchange

oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Scotland Male Posts : 79

Money Exchange Empty Re: Money Exchange

Post by oscarjohnboy Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:06

oh and one more thing is it better to take all euros or travellers cheques...and where can I get the best exchange rate in Tenerife.
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:11

£20 notes, and change at PS2 parque Santiago 2....down the hill turn left 10 mins walk.
    oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Post by oscarjohnboy Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:15

do u get better exchange rate over their than here,,,,£20 notes they have to be English ones right?
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:21

yeah not the monopoly ones
    oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Post by oscarjohnboy Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:23

so no travellers cheques then just £20 bundles of English ones?whats the rate for changing them say for every one hundred £20s.here its 84 euros for £1.
    are you not safer to take travellers cheques?oh and 1 last thing where do I get a bag to put my hand luggage in when u go to airport and what needs to go in it thanks for the help guys.
    Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Post by Mermaid Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 8:08

oscarjohnboy wrote:do u get better exchange rate over their than here,,,,£20 notes they have to be English ones right?

We have never had a problem with exchanging Scottish notes in the past.. We always found a slightly better rate over in Tenerife. I do not advise changing money at the airport as the rates they offer are dreadful.
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 9:46

oscarjohnboy wrote:so no travellers cheques then just £20 bundles of English ones?whats the rate for changing them say for every one hundred £20s.here its 84 euros for £1.
    are you not safer to take travellers cheques?oh and 1 last thing where do I get a bag to put my hand luggage in when u go to airport and what needs to go in it thanks for the help guys.

I'm assuming that its 84 pence to the euro that you mean? Another option is, if you are able to put your credit card in credit, i.e. actually extra money on the card over and above what you actually owe, you can then use the card as an ATM card and there aren't any hidden charges. ( you only incur fees when you owe them money)
    oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Post by oscarjohnboy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 9:57

yes that's what I meant.....so what is the best thing to do?is it better to use credit card or travellers cheques or just cash change over their...
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:01

Personally, I would do the credit card and traveller cheques. The traveller cheques could be kept as an emergency and can always be redeemed on your return ( check with your local bank regarding exchange rates, mine will buy them back from me at the same rate that they sell them, the same applies to foreign cash)
    oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Money Exchange Empty Money Exchange

Post by oscarjohnboy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:23

thanks I think ill stick to travellers cheques I think its safer and I can cash them over their
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Post by Gypsy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:36

You could always look at Tenerife Sunshine (I know I keep mentioning them but only because I have always had great service) They also do Money Exchange and post on their facebook HERE They say if you tell them you saw the rate on their facebook page you will get a better rate than in the shops. Don´t know if this is correct or how much better as I don´t have any money to change.
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:37

Forgot I think they also take travellers cheques but they have a live chat on their website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where you can ask anything you are not sure about.
    oscarjohnboy
    oscarjohnboy

Post by oscarjohnboy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 11:23

ok thanks done that their very helpful thanks again
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 12:28

We are good on here and don't forget only a couple of places left on Tenerife sunshines cruise
    Daryn
    Daryn

UK Male Posts : 656

Post by Daryn Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 15:00

We used to always use American express travellers cheques, you know the ones shown on the tv where someone has had them stolen and they get delivered to your hotel and on silver tray, (its bollocks lol) we had ours stolen from a hotel safe in Mallorca, all our money the lot, I contact American express straight away to have them cancelled along with credit cards etc.
    Because we had paid for a safety box the hotel give us the cash that was stolen and said they would claim it back, we got the money the very next day but said we would have to claim the travellers cheques back from American express, well two days went by and we heard nothing, I phoned them up and asked what the hold up was, they said we were under investigation, I couldn't believe it, I asked if they had been cashed in and they said no, so again I asked what the problem was then as Ive never been in trouble with the police in my life, I was on holiday with my wife and child and just wanted the cheques back. It was 4 or5 days before we got them back, ridiculous. Some of my members on our forum use these prepaid cards so the only thing they can take is what you have paid into them, they are widely accepted around the world , I can get the details if you like but Ive never used them.
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 15:25

If prepaid card go to fairfx.com, best rate, you need 5 days
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Post by Gypsy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 16:15

3rdforum wrote:
    I'm assuming that its 84 pence to the euro that you mean? Another option is, if you are able to put your credit card in credit, i.e. actually extra money on the card over and above what you actually owe, you can then use the card as an ATM card and there aren't any hidden charges. ( you only incur fees when you owe them money)

I assume 3rd has just made a typing error, NEVER EVER use a CREDIT CARD to get cash, it will cost you a fortune, a debit card is OK though.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 16:33

Topdog wrote:£20 notes, and change at PS2 parque Santiago 2....down the hill turn left 10 mins walk.

They take ALL British notes including 50s and 5s. GIB, Manx, CI, NI and Scottish. Its called STERLING, although you wont find that word even on the Bank of England ones. Lots of places in England still wont take 50s, although Reg does. £100 notes are issued in Scotland and you can spend those, easy come easy go money they call it, they get most of it free from us. Money Exchange 1498946960
    Daryn
    Daryn

UK Male Posts : 656

Post by Daryn Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:08

Topdog wrote:If prepaid card go to fairfx.com, best rate, you need 5 days

That's the one I've been told about .
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:12

We even have a red Indian on our banknotes, have a look
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Post by 3rdforum Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:29

Gypsy wrote:
    3rdforum wrote:

I assume 3rd has just made a typing error, NEVER EVER use a CREDIT CARD to get cash, it will cost you a fortune, a debit card is OK though.

Nope, if I load my credit card and actually put it in credit, then I don't get charged anything (i.e. commission or withdrawl fees). If however, you just use your credit card WITHOUT putting it in credit, then, yes, it will cost you a fortune.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:34

Other question asked was about the see through plastic bags for liquids. They sell them at the airport for a quid in the machine but any small bag will do. About 8" square the ones they sell are.
    Mark
    Mark

England Male Posts : 20

Post by Mark Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:34

Daryn wrote:
    Topdog wrote:If prepaid card go to fairfx.com, best rate, you need 5 days

That's the one I've been told about .

That's the one I've got. You get a marginally better rate of exchange when you top up, BUT you are charged €1.50 per ATM withdrawal.
    So if you want to draw out smaller amounts more frequently, then a Tesco one (Travelex) or a Caxton one would suit you better.

No charge with any card to just 'spend' the money at a bar or a shop.
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:37

I always take folding stuff. I try not to put it in plastic carrier bags and leave it in a taxi though. Money Exchange 3025408739
    Topdog
    Topdog

Post by Topdog Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:41

Red Indian

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 20:33