Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+3
Mcqueen
Gypsy
Adam Mint
7 posters

Laptop doing my head in now...

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Laptop doing my head in now... Empty Laptop doing my head in now...

Post by Adam Mint Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 16:31

Laptop which runs on Windows 7 has started doing the following...

1. In the past when I shut laptop down I would occasionally get a notice come up saying "Do not switch off computer updates to install", this notification is now coming up every time I switch off computer, sometimes computer is taking about half an hour before it switches off, then what's even worse, next time I switch it on, up comes a notice saying "Configuring updates", this process can take up to about fifteen minutes, very annoying when you just want the thing to switch on...

2. In the past I could walk a way from the computer for about ten minutes before it shut itself down, then when I returned to it I just hit the on/off button and the screen would return to where I left off...  Not now, leave it for a minute or two and it shuts down, then when I hit the on/off button it goes through the whole start up procedure, meaning whatever I was looking at/doing is lost...

Computer was also running very slow in all aspects, internet, loading pictures, word documents etc, I ran C-Cleaner and Malwarebytes and that seems to have fixed the speed problem, but the above two remain the same...

Any suggestions...

Laptop doing my head in now... 206331103
    Gypsy
    Gypsy

Spain Female Posts : 12655

Laptop doing my head in now... Empty Re: Laptop doing my head in now...

Post by Gypsy Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 16:58

Have a look at this website  Soluto It gives you the option to delete stuff that is safe to delete (it tells you you don´t have to figure it out yourself)  

Stuff that is potentially removable (it tells you how many other users have got rid of it or how many think best to leave alone) and

Stuff that is required and you should not touch.

You have the option to move stuff that is slowing down your start up so they either start after the machine has booted or when you want to use them.  Oh and it is FREE.  Once you are used to it you can all your other laptops, etc
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 17:02

Laptop doing my head in now... 1483819851  YEH
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 17:22

Thanks Gypsy, will have a look at that tomorrow, just about to get fed and watered pre pool night so don't want to start with it now...
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 17:22

Minty, hit the big "Start" button (the blue one on the bottom left with the windows logo on). Then click "All programs", scroll until you see "Windows Updates". Check all the boxes that say "important" and download them. Wee tip, when you switch your PC off, where it says "Shut down", if there is an exclamation mark next to it, it means there are updates. Once the updates are downloaded, the laptop needs to be switched off completely, not just put to sleep or hibernation, then when you next start it, the updates will be "Configured".
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 17:26

Just tried that Cam, says there are no important updates and six optional ones...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Post by Perfectspecimen Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 19:50

Laptop doing my head in now... 206331103
    searcher
    searcher

Scotland Male Posts : 7625

Post by searcher Sun 27 Mar 2016 - 18:15

I have an old H.P. netbook which I have owned for many years, I bought it mainly to take abroad and it served me well for ages before eventually being so slow it was useless, anyway I recently bought a new tablet to replace it and all is well, however being a tight fisted old get I thought I would try and bring some life back into the old netbook by re-setting it back to factory default, well I found out how to do it and after about 8 or 9 hours it was done and re-set with windows 10 , there is nothing on it apart from my personal details and I have to say it is better now than when I first bought it, it is not nearly as quick as my chrome book but a lot faster than any windows based device I have used for years, looks like Val can dump her old Acer in the bin
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Sun 27 Mar 2016 - 18:40

I've a Nexus tablet that has become feckin useless since it updated the android system. It's become so bad that I only use it for Kindle now

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 13:05