Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

+5
Jimandsi
Perfectspecimen
3rdforum
Mcqueen
Campbell Brodie
9 posters

Things you don't do anymore.

Jimandsi
    Jimandsi

England Male Posts : 1361

Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you don't do anymore.

Post by Jimandsi Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 15:16

The Lone Ranger wrote:See those things on top of the radio? Those are accumulators. I remember as a kid having to take them to the general store to get them re-charged.

Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 Batter10

Is that your dining room table Cam ?

That's a bit posh isn't it ?

Cups with handles and saucers !

Cutlery !

A stereo !

How the other half live eh Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 294053457
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 15:18

Afternoon Jim. That's a photo I took while visiting a folk museum last year. The scary thing was I remembered a lot of the things they were using. Thank God we've moved on, you forget how primitively we lived only a few decades ago.
    Jimandsi
    Jimandsi

England Male Posts : 1361

Post by Jimandsi Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 15:20

It did us the world of good though. Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 294053457

Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 16:23

Ive heard of those accumulators, Never seen one though, Er, What are they for ?,

Just remembered were i heard of them, Michael cain interview, Ask him a question, Guy rang in and said his father had the shop where cain went to get his accmulator
    seen to, Cain said, "And you think ive always had it easy"
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 16:33

That's what they used before the new-fangled dry cell batteries came along. Had to get them re-charged every so often so we could all hear THIS
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 16:48

Blimey, I remember the song, But i was blessed with electric in our house, Father having a taxi business, I remember PYE coming to put a massive aerial on the roof, He spent a fortune on radio's for the cars, But all the nieghbours complained because the conversations came on their tv's and radio's, i soon twigged i could call the mates up without leaving the house, Mother was car 16, It went like this " A1 Base to car 16 over, Car 16 go ahead A1 Base, Whats for tea ma, Well father wasnt too impressed when he heard that, He started locking the office when nobody was in it,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 16:59

We got the electricity into our dump when I was 6 for the birth of my little brother. No gas either. Used paraffin lamps and cooked on the fire range. Sod that nowadays.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 17:17

Underdog wrote:
    All phone boxes were good for the sinuses, and the reciever smelled of smoke, Couldnt walk past one without pressing button A, see if 4d dropped out, Plus if ever you wanted a light bulb they was free,
    Here you go Reg. Press the button and see if any coppers fall out! Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 3025408739 Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 3025408739 There used to be a local directory in each one as well. You don't see that anymore either...

Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 Kiosk10
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 17:28

There is one in a hamlet near us, Fresh flowers in it every day, Bt was going to take it out, But somebody got it in the press, BT said nobody uses it, All have private phones, Thats not the point the hamlet said, Leave the blady thing alone, Not been past for a while to see what happened, But a guy from the motor trade lived there, We called him Deputy Dog, One week into retirement he got killed at a junction he used all his life, Dont know what happened there,
    Somebody said he killed himself, Lived alone in the hamlet, And couldnt face life doing nothing,
    Best not say where, You never know, I will report back on the phone box,
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 17:32

My mate bought one for his garden, got it all sandblasted and re-painted in the old PO red. Cost him over £2,000. He had to re-glaze it as well.
    Cruella de Vil
    Cruella de Vil

Spain Female Posts : 3067

Post by Cruella de Vil Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 17:38

Thought an accumulator was something to do with betting Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 2761542443
    Topdog
    Topdog

England Male Posts : 21262

Post by Topdog Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 19:19

Cruella de Vil wrote:Thought an accumulator was something to do with betting Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 2761542443
    Vacuumlator, is what gals do when you have a hangover Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 20:21

Cruella de Vil wrote:Thought an accumulator was something to do with betting Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 2761542443

Perfectly correct Cru. It means a lot of things.See Here
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 20:26

Thats what i like about this place, Educational too, not just drivell, Cam doe's Education, I do Drivell, Sorted then, The futures bright,
    Cruella de Vil
    Cruella de Vil

Spain Female Posts : 3067

Post by Cruella de Vil Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 20:58

The Lone Ranger wrote:

Perfectly correct Cru. It means a lot of things.See Here

Gosh it has zillions of meanings Things you don't  do anymore. - Page 2 2419626307

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Sep 2024 - 21:00