Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

4 posters

Friggin boat engine.

Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Liechtenstein Male Posts : 14451

Friggin boat engine.  Empty Friggin boat engine.

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 20 May 2016 - 4:58

Friggin boat engine.  16779677  Its getting on my tits now. About a year ago I was just running the engine charging batteries where she sits and engine revs suddenly increase and then engine stops. Classic run out of fuel scenario. Its happened numerous times cos its only got a 35 litre tank and the fuel guage is rubbish so no surprise. Even at sea pour some diesel in and then about 3 minutes to bleed it through and shes away again. Must have done about 20 battery changes since then. No electric where she is so I have to cart heavy baterries across about 200ft of marsh to car to take home to charge. Now normally if a diesel wont start its sucking air somewhere so I have replaced with a brand new quality one the tubing from the tank to the filter, bought a brand new double filter, not cheap! And still no go. I have bled it through numerous times now and I seem to have a constant flow at the pipe to the injectors (removed pipe to check) but still nowt. Today I unbolted injectors to see if diesel spraying out......... Result? Feck all coming out of any of the feckers. Friggin boat engine.  3275847336 Been looking on tinternet and Youtube tonight and apparently you can clean them which I think I will try first or I can buy new nozzles @£18 each. But the thing that bothers me is why would all four be fecked at the same time??????????
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Friggin boat engine.  Empty Re: Friggin boat engine.

Post by Mcqueen Fri 20 May 2016 - 7:08

Nackered pump due to running it out of diesel constantly Friggin boat engine.  1498946960, Work back from the pump with a tin of fuel and a good rubber hose, hold it high to get a feed so you dont need the lift pump
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Post by Adam Mint Fri 20 May 2016 - 13:10

Like Reg says is diesel coming out of the pump to the injectors, just remove injector pipes from them and turn over engine and see if any fuel comes out, four injectors don't go tits up at the same time...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Fri 20 May 2016 - 14:54

When I first got the boat I bypassed the mechanical lift pump and put an electric one on instead, same pump was used on my Merc for about 6 years and indeed I have put one on my VW campervan. Makes bleeding so much easier....... When turning over engine fuel spurts from end of pipe that goes into injector but no spray coming from injector when I reconnect the pipe. Just found an injector from a Yanmar engine that I know is reconditioned but never used so if I am lucky I can connect that to the pipe, thread looks the same, to see if that works when I turn it over. If it does spray at least I know its not the injector pump........
    By the way this was the boat that was partially sunk in the harbour. The entire engine was submerged in sea water. Friggin boat engine.  3025408739 Although that was I think 3 years ago and its been fine up until last year but maybe time has taken its toll.
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Fri 20 May 2016 - 17:18

Maybe the bittles have splayed, try spleening the swarf bolts...If that don't work, I don't have a clue. Friggin boat engine.  1483819851
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Fri 20 May 2016 - 17:31

Friggin boat engine.  878948377 Maybe
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Sat 21 May 2016 - 0:58

The Lone Ranger wrote:Maybe the bittles have splayed, try spleening the swarf bolts...If that don't work, I don't have a clue. Friggin boat engine.  1483819851

Nah, didnt work Cam. Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    There are however some films on Youtube on the subject. But for some unknown reason I cant get any sound on them but I get the picture...........
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Sat 21 May 2016 - 1:17

Solution, buy an outboard and bolt it to the blunt end...

Sorted, simples innit...
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Mon 30 May 2016 - 13:00

Went to Skeggy yesterday, full of drunks so I am glad boat is 3 miles South............. Put known good injector on end of pipe, nowt coming out although there is fuel coming from pipe so I am guessing not enough pressure. Blox. Have to remove injector pump to get it tested I suppose. There used to be a bloke in Brandon, Old School type, but I'm guessing he might have retired by now. Cheapest exchange pump I can find is £260 but thats in Warwickshire............
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Mon 30 May 2016 - 13:54

Is it a Lucas pump ?, If so they can test it
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Mon 30 May 2016 - 15:23

Injector pumps ain't as technical as people think, the technical bit is setting them up, you need a machine for that, in your case Vince it's probably a bit of linkage broken inside the pump or a non return valve with a piece of shit stuck in it,,, go on Internet and find out all you can about the type of pump it is and take it from there, may be something very simple that's wrong...
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Mon 30 May 2016 - 15:33

He keeps running it out of fuel Friggin boat engine.  1498946960 fuel lubricates the inside rubber o rings and the vanes that create the pressure, all the tips of said vanes are now burnt, so no pressure, sure an overhall kit will be a simple fix but like Adams say its setting it up thats the biggy, thats my diagnosis  Friggin boat engine.  1483819851
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Mon 30 May 2016 - 15:48

Mix oil and diesel 50/50 and feed it direct in to the pump and see what the injectors do then, the oil should take up any wear in the pump if that is the problem, so will give you a clue as to what the problem is...
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Mon 30 May 2016 - 16:11

Adam Mint wrote:Mix oil and diesel 50/50 and feed it direct in to the pump and see what the injectors do then, the oil should take up any wear in the pump if that is the problem, so will give you a clue as to what the problem is...
    Bet he's had chip fat going threw it anyway Friggin boat engine.  1498946960 Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Mon 30 May 2016 - 16:26

You mean Vince is bi, oh...
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Mon 30 May 2016 - 16:40

Friggin boat engine.  3025408739  Yeh Bio
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:07

Its a Lucas CAV pump. Spent hours on tinternet yesterday learning all about it. Really useful information from Land Rover forum that I had to join to view photos. First before removing it there is stuff I can try. Tapping it with a hammer...... Friggin boat engine.  2419626307 Filling it with Automatic Transmission Fluid, got some somewhere I think. And by the way I feed it nothing but pure red diesel. Only Bosch pumps like the other stuff innit.  Friggin boat engine.  294053457 Could be the stop valve, inside the top, or there is a gauze filter and another valve inside the end cover both accessible and if I'm lucky I wont feck the gaskets. Will pop back there when the sun returns............. Big new visitor centre is open now at Gibraltar Point, last one got destroyed in the Dec 2013 floods. And some nice new toilets not 100m from boat. Wont change my habit of pissing over the side if the tides out but hey-ho, nice for the ladies.  Friggin boat engine.  3318427985
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 11:28

Lovely day in Skeggy yesterday. Went to boat to play engineer. Hit pump with hammer, hey presto diesel now spraying out injector 2 and 3 so I bolted those two back down and turned it over hoping it will start, I know it will with one out, makes a right racket though.  Friggin boat engine.  2419626307 Almost caught at one point I think but now the batteries dead. Friggin boat engine.  3913804730 Luckily I had sack barrow with me so carted extremely heavy battery back to van. Get to gate and its locked. Never seen it locked before. No problem I think, I know the code cos its easy to remember. Couldnt get lock off. Cant ring anyone, phones at home so I have three choices, sleep in camper van, sleep in boat or dismantle gate! There was however a Lincolnshire wild life trust truck by the gate, other side so I thought best I hang on to see if anyone turns up. After about quarter of an hour two guys turn up. Are you in the sailing club? Yep I said pointing to sticker in windscreen. Dont you know the code then? Well, thought it was ****. It is they said but did you press the button on the lock?  Friggin boat engine.  755705644  Feck me, high technology padlocks now ffs.  Friggin boat engine.  1498946960
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 17:18

Why don't you do a Cadbury's Dairy Milk? Get dressed in the black togs then set fire to the fecker one night...claim of the insurance and have a nice wee holiday somewhere. Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 17:27

Insurance Friggin boat engine.  1498946960 not a chance, money spent only when needed  Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Post by Campbell Brodie Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 17:28

He's persistant though, ain't he? Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

Post by Mcqueen Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 17:35

Just carefull with money Friggin boat engine.  3025408739
    Perfectspecimen
    Perfectspecimen

Post by Perfectspecimen Tue 7 Jun 2016 - 19:10

It has third party insurance because it has to. Fully comp is just a joke, a loophole for everything.  Friggin boat engine.  1498946960  Sometimes I wish someone would just steal it, but why would they take mine when much nicer ones are adjacent? Probably a question an insurance company would ask..........  Friggin boat engine.  3025408739

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2024 - 3:40