Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Tenerife Forum of Fun!

Not a member? Register here to join our fun forum!
Once you register, you will receive an e-mail asking you to validate your membership. Click on the link and away you go!

Thank you for joining, now have some fun!

Tenerife's Forum of Fun

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tenerife's Forum of Fun

A place for visitors and residents to share experiences and have fun at the same time.

Welcome to Tenerife Forum of Fun! Register and join in!

5 posters

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it...

Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Scotland Male Posts : 23101

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Empty Just when I was planning a special trip to see it...

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 14:17

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it...

BBC News

It cost £300,000...

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... 1498946960

OK, they say art is in the eye of the beholder, but...

Mermaid
    Mermaid

Scotland Female Posts : 10439

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Empty Re: Just when I was planning a special trip to see it...

Post by Mermaid Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 14:54

Best thing they can do. What a waste of money
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Empty Re: Just when I was planning a special trip to see it...

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 15:55

Love Them or Hate Them

Would seem everywhere has got to have its “Art” structure, well here’s my “Love” and “Hate”, alas both no more...

HATE

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Ks11

This was a “Kinetic Structure” built in Edinburgh/Leith, I was initially intrigued by the thought of the structure when it was announced and being built, it was to be a structure with lights attached that when the wind blew and the structure twisted, stress sensors picked up the movement and altered which lights were switched on/off accordingly...

What we got, in the daylight a tower that looked as if it had been put up by a drunken scaffolder with a few coloured florescent tubes attached, in the dark,,, much the same, as the lights rarely worked, and when they did they just stuck on all the time... It was eventually dismantled, think it was sold to the English, aint stupid us Scots...

PS, that’s a crane in the background, the structures on the green bit, got to admit the crane looks better...

LOVE

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Bbb10

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Bbbbbb12

The “Big Bang”, built and situated outside the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Stadium, I though it looked great apart for one thing, in the daylight it looked like a rusting oil rig, as the structure was made from unpainted steel, always thought it would have looked great if stainless steel had been used, but in the dark when floodlit wow...

Only problem, when the wind blew the spears started swaying, some even broke off, a fence was quickly erected around the structure, eventually it was decided to dismantle it, I found this decision completely unnecessary as after the Commonwealth Games the stadium became Citys ground, no brainer, fantastic structure or a few squished blues................
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 16:00

How old is that photo of Edinburgh? Late 70's as a guess judging by the cars and bus.
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 16:13

Found this about the structure...

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Pppppp10
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 16:42

3rd, while trying to find photo I used where you were asking about the year, I came across this one of a pub in Leith Walk not far from where the the kinetic structure was. I worked near this pub many years ago, and at lunch time we would frequent it for a pie and a pint (or two), one day two elderly tourists came in (husband and wife), asked for a pint and a glass or wine, barman says “we don’t sell wine”, customer say “but your sign advertises wine and spirits”, barman says “it also says Joseph Pearce and he’s been fu#king deed for years”...

Never new Bob the barman was so poetic.....

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Jp10
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:03

I like this one at Cumbernauld. Built for the opening of the new M80 Glasgow to Stirling motorway...
    Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Captur54

Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... Captur55

The bit at the back shows two streams or burns separating from one. Cumbernauld in Gaelic means Comar nan allt or Meeting of the waters. This is because at it's highest point Cumbernauld is a watershed with burns flowing East to the River Forth and West to the River Clyde. (Good 'ere innit? Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... 4226408756). You can see it getting erected here...

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:06; edited 1 time in total
    Mcqueen
    Mcqueen

England Male Posts : 30546

Post by Mcqueen Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:04

Logged and filed Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... 3275847336
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:13

Its got four arms ???
    Adam Mint
    Adam Mint

Post by Adam Mint Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:30

Don’t understand this motorway art thing, the Angel of the North, the Seven Sisters etc on the M8, and the big penis thing on the M62 heading to Liverpool, wonder if there are any statistics of more accidents in the areas of them with people rubbernecking...
    Campbell Brodie
    Campbell Brodie

Scotland Male Posts : 59106

Post by Campbell Brodie Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:41

Nah, got to disagree there AM, I like them. They're sticking a couple of giant "Kelpies" where the Forth Clyde canal meets the River Forth. Same guy who built the Cumbernauld one...Andy Scott. I like his stuff. See here
    3rdforum
    3rdforum

Ireland Male Posts : 22953

Post by 3rdforum Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 17:49

We started copying the UK putting in roadside art. Not many left now, they've been stolen for scrap. Some of them were awful so no harm done Just when I was planning a special trip to see it... 3025408739

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 9:38